Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 25’ outboard ride comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Fischon View Post
    The CCs will always be wave crushers. It’s inherent to the weight of the hull. I am in the middle of a 25 outboard conversion on a 95 hull that I ran for 5 years. Getting the right running attitude/angle is key and better tabs and weight distribution will allow any of these boats the option to run well in seas. Interestingly I found 450lbs of ballast at the aft end of my boat. Most of it will go back “someplace” with test rides in the future.
    Where was the ballast? I’d like to take some weight out of the stern to offset the weight on my kicker.

The lead ballast is all the way at the back. Behind the fuel tanks. In those two little boxed in spots that brace the transom. I will warn you it takes commitment to remove. The chopper gun was someone’s best friend when building these boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Fischon View Post
    The lead ballast is all the way at the back. Behind the fuel tanks. In those two little boxed in spots that brace the transom. I will warn you it takes commitment to remove. The chopper gun was someone’s best friend when building these boats.
    This is interesting. 450 lb of lead. In all 25s? If so, no wonder the bow high ride at cruise and water coming in the scuppers when fishing. An the need for bigger or improved tabs. That's like a 7% ballast adjustment. For what? Weight and balance off that much? What did they need to correct?

As far as removal goes, how did you do it? Is it lead bars or bags of wheel weights or shot? Is it loose in the boxes or "glassed in place". For access, did you go in though the top or through the interior stringers?
    "Pescadora"
    Hull #60, 1995
    Volvo 8.1Gi-B
    Stainless Marine Exhaust
    w/ Heated Manifolds

Here is a picture as I was taken my boat apart. On the right side low you will see the lead disc sitting on top of the box they came out of. I did not weigh what it took out so I cannot confirm the amount of weight, but 450# seems a little high
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ibedamn
    94 CC25 Custom
    Outboard Conversion

IMG_8701sm.jpgI checked my notes and it was actually 400 lbs. not 450. Attached is a picture of the starboard side as seen from the transom cutout for the outdrive shield. There were a total of 80 pieces of 5lb ingots glassed in place. 250 lbs. port side and 150 lbs. starboard side. The only way this comes out is if you are demolishing the boxed in area (as I did for bulkhead repairs).

From what I have read and observed, the best weight distribution in a boat is "even", meaning similar weight along the length of the hull. That's not practically possible, so light spots may be ballasted as a compromise. The aft of a traditional CC25 with mid-engine is a light spot when fuel load is light, so it kind of makes sense to ballast it a bit. It keeps with the Carolina tradition of "heavy boat = softer riding boat".
    Thanks,
    Last edited by Fischon; 09-13-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: add picture
    Chris Farschon
    1995 25' (Fischon)

Found this picture also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ibedamn
    94 CC25 Custom
    Outboard Conversion

No lead in the stern of the factory 25 OB that I can find.

Anyone confirmed with the factory lead is in all the 25 IO? I run 200lbs of cooler off the swim platform, I don't need lead too.
    2001 CC25 8.8 GM VP DP
    Never Enough
    New Bern, NC

Submitted the question to Keith via email.
    "Pescadora"
    Hull #60, 1995
    Volvo 8.1Gi-B
    Stainless Marine Exhaust
    w/ Heated Manifolds

The balancing act is not just with CC. Our 28’ Privateer has several hundred pounds under the Port Bunk to offset cabinetry console weight on the starboard side and the stern weight of the outboards. Mold was originally for the 28’ Atlantic which was a single inboard boat.

Thread Information