Thread: Gel coat repair

Default Gel coat repair

How do you get some gelcoat that matches?

Check OEM vendor board. All the info you need is there. I just purchased my third repair kit from them a few months ago.

I just did a major bit of work on the bow to finish off an aborted windless installation by the previous owner. A 2oz kit wasn't going to cut it. I needed a quart. So I spoke with Spectrum and learned a LOT. The 2oz kits will do about 5 silver dollar size repairs.

What I learned from them was invaluable. Gelcoat is .5oz per tablespoon. The small kits come premixed with an essential ingredient called surface seal. The quarts come with a small glass bottle of that stuff and you mix 5 drops per ounce of gelcoat to be applied prior to adding the MekP. (hardener). That's also 5 drops per ounce. The surface seal bottle is capped. You'll need a glass eyedropper (Walgreen - optical aisle). Once you add the methyl-ethyl-ketone-peroxide, the time starts. You've got an honest 15 minutes, but not 20. If you run short.... it's a "next day" issue. In 24 hours, you've got a really nice, solid, hard, finish to work with. If you need to build on the prior day's work, you'll have to remove the wax-like surface seal with acetone, and lightly abrade the surface with 220 grit. That wax sealer also leaves a really nice gloss finish. If you roll it on, like paint, maybe 2-3 days as thinner layers inhibit curing.

If your hull is sun-weathered for 10-15 years, the old gelcoat will be brighter. You can sand through that thin oxidized layer easily enough, but then the repair area just keeps getting bigger. In my case, I masked off the edge of the old gelcoat at the edges of the nonskid and lived with the more off-white look of the new layer compared to the brighter white of the old layer. Unlikely to get a perfect match unless your boat is rather new.

Get the part numbers from Spectrum's service department and then order from Iboats. In my case, iboats had the part numbers, but was mistaken about the kit contents. They thought it was premixed with surface seal and it is not. If your doing vertical work, you'll also need some fumed silica filler called Cab-o-sil. This stiffens the gelcoat without changing the color. 50/50 makes a putty like substance to fill substantial voids. Finish off with a foam roller to apply straight gelcoat, and then sand out that until you like the result.

My challenge looked like this:

BTW, the real challenge was moving the windlass from that ridiculous spot to the back of the anchor locker. I spent so much time head and shoulders inside the forepeak this winter, I felt like I should change my mailing address to 1 Anchor Locker Way. The really difficult work was all inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pescadora; 05-02-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    "Pescadora"
    Hull #60, 1995
    Volvo 8.1Gi-B
    Stainless Marine Exhaust
    w/ Heated Manifolds

So you call Spectrum and tell them what year your boat is and they give you a part number?

All Carolina's use the same offwhite hull and sand colored cockpit. The part number is on the web site. Shelf life is 6 months.

https://spectrumcolor-com.3dcartstor...BPnSPersG8A%3D
    "Pescadora"
    Hull #60, 1995
    Volvo 8.1Gi-B
    Stainless Marine Exhaust
    w/ Heated Manifolds

Spectrum Number is 901601. Iboats had a few numbers before or after I cant remember but shouldnt be too hard to find.

Thanks guys! Nice work on the bow Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    All Carolina's use the same offwhite hull and sand colored cockpit. The part number is on the web site. Shelf life is 6 months.

https://spectrumcolor-com.3dcartstor...BPnSPersG8A%3D
    That's interesting. I've never even seen a Carolina with the sand colored cockpit. Only the same white as the hull.
    Ethan D.
    "Fissues 2" 2008 CC28
    D6-330's Ex:RedTail
    Marblehead, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Fissues View Post
    That's interesting. I've never even seen a Carolina with the sand colored cockpit. Only the same white as the hull.
    Truly!! I thought it was common.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Pescadora"
    Hull #60, 1995
    Volvo 8.1Gi-B
    Stainless Marine Exhaust
    w/ Heated Manifolds

My 2001 28 had the sand. Older models had an even darker color.

Thread Information