Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lines in bow?

Default Lines in bow?

561A17F3-8C43-4933-B635-6D917BBBADA5.jpg

Boat froze last night, but was 60 degrees out when I took this pic. Anyone else seen this? Is the wood in the bow wet and expanding when it freezes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross4289 View Post
    561A17F3-8C43-4933-B635-6D917BBBADA5.jpg

Boat froze last night, but was 60 degrees out when I took this pic. Anyone else seen this? Is the wood in the bow wet and expanding when it freezes?
    that looks really bad looks like you have some water under the gell coat good luck
    Last edited by capt rich; 10-24-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Ughhh, was this deck repaired before?
    Ethan D.
    "Fissues 2" 2008 CC28
    D6-330's Ex:RedTail
    Marblehead, MA

Not that I’m aware of. No aparrent soft spots and looks like factory gel coat. Not sure I’ve ever seen the boat frozen before.
    Last edited by Ross4289; 10-22-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Mine freezes often because of where I live, but I've not seen that before.

It could be a trick of the lighting, but it seems to me that there is slight bulge there, limited forward by the anchor locker hatch and to port by the port cleat, and then in an arc down to near the foredeck hatch and then over toward the starboard rail. All that area in between looks raised.

A question for Keith might be, "How is the fore-deck cored? In a single plywood sheet, or in fore and aft planks of plywood about six inches across and laid up with slight gaps between them.

If that's how it is done, much might be explained in this picture. Resolution would remain, but it also occurs to me that if those cleats are loose, or bedded improperly ... well, let's not go there yet.
    "Pescadora"
    Hull #60, 1995
    Volvo 8.1Gi-B
    Stainless Marine Exhaust
    w/ Heated Manifolds

Those fore and aft lines are real, I could feel them. Spaced about 5” apart. Cleats are solid.

It’s almost like the coring is boards 5” wide based on the perfectly straight lines.

Good idea on calling Keith to see how it’s cored.

Well, sort of answered my own question here.

Can't be a single piece because the hatch is the high spot and the deck curves down both to the bow and to either rail. So, yeah. Separate planks. Has to be. And those with cross cuts on the under side to give the convex shape?

I pulled my cleats out today. Does no good for them to be mounted BEHIND the windlass. Windlass migrating to cleat place, cleats moving up on pulpit. In front of windlass. Of the eight bolts, six were loose enough to require vise grips on the nut, while I worked the phillips head of the screw from above.

Another source of water in the coring could be from the hatch cut-out.

Mine was raw plywood when I did the hatch in year one (2013).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Pescadora"
    Hull #60, 1995
    Volvo 8.1Gi-B
    Stainless Marine Exhaust
    w/ Heated Manifolds

The hatch could be it. I need to replace the hatch anyways so Ill pull it in the spring and look at the wood. What’s the best option for a replacement hatch?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross4289 View Post
    The hatch could be it. I need to replace the hatch anyways so Ill pull it in the spring and look at the wood. What’s the best option for a replacement hatch?
    Exact replacement = https://www.go2marine.com/product/38...tch-parts.html

While the website pic doesn't show this, mine came with two support arms. Make sure you get both. Only one puts a twisting force on the hinges if you pull it down from the wrong side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pescadora; 10-23-2018 at 10:23 PM.
    "Pescadora"
    Hull #60, 1995
    Volvo 8.1Gi-B
    Stainless Marine Exhaust
    w/ Heated Manifolds

Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    Exact replacement = https://www.go2marine.com/product/38...tch-parts.html

While the website pic doesn't show this, mine came with two support arms. Make sure you get both. Only one puts a twisting force on the hinges if you pull it down from the wrong side.
    Check with moisture meter

Thread Information