Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 28' Powered with Cummins 330 Performance

I'm not sure about what your propping should be with that gear ratio, but props make a huge difference. I went from the speeds listed about to 27-28kts when I put ACMEs on last summer. I still get a vibration similar to what you describe coming up on plane. Are you sure on the gear ratio?

You can always call Keith to see what that hull was built with, not that someone could’ve changed things out
    2004 28 VOLVO 300 DIESELS

That doesnt sound great. I have KAMD43s 230hp with a genny, no tower. Full fuel 4 people I top out at 28 knots at 3850 rpms, 24 knot cruise at 3600. My bottom is freshly cleaned and the wheels are speed propped. The least little barnacle on the wheels especially in the cup will drop 10-20% off the speed
    Chris Gibson
    My Addiction 3
    2005 CC28 KAMD43s
    "Pescado Loco"
    2011 CC25 Twin 250 Yamahas

I've noticed with my 05 28' CC with Volvo Kamd300's with a tower and full fuel, ice, and 3 adults she doesn't like to run much under 22 knts. Once I get her to 24-26 knts she's much happier. I put her bow down as much as possible in the conditions and she sings! Anything under 21 knots and she smokes. She loves 2-4' seas and rides really nicely in them.

ok gotta respond.. Dont have cummins but do have feedback. upgraded volvo 300s from 260s last year..had 18 x 25 acme props.. Did not see the performance I had hoped for with the same props on the 28 with new engines so i bought brand new 19 x 25s light cup.. A world of difference now.. the power is huge.. getting out of the hole and staying there is night and day..21 knots at 2650 that extra inch in my opinion changes everything and we fish big water.. 3-5 is normal in the open ocean pacific
    Code Blue

How did you select the new props?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTaylor28 View Post
    any update on the props?
    I have a 1998 hull with 2001 6bta 280hp with 1.41:1 gears, 17x23 4 blade bronze alloy props
    my numbers are
    2200 rpm - 20 knots
    2550 max rpm 26 knots
    half tank of fuel 2 passengers no gear
    I was hoping for better speeds than that. I have some vibrations before I get on a plane and it defiantly sounds like water by the prop area. once it gets out of the water it feels great no vibrations but these numbers are worse then some 4bt models I have read up on. I know that the rated rpm is 2800 which I am very far from. any input would be greatly appreciated. I am looking into upgrading these motors to 330hp next season also if I can't get any better results
    I have the same vibrations getting up on plane as you have. It's more like a rattle. I'm running crusader 6.0s and 18 x 24 Acmes... A friend has a 2001 28 and the crusader 8.1s with Acmes and has the same issue... We checked the rudders, struts, bushings and cutlass bearings and everything checks out so I'm thinking it's prop cavication...

As mentioned by others, these hulls need a lot of juice to get over the hump and up on plane and seem to break free of the water around 24 knots... If you can't cruise at 24 knots, you'll never get over the hump and you'll be overworking your engines and burning a lot more fuel...
    Gerry Z
    Obsession
    28 With 6.0 Crusader Inboards
    Sandy Hook NJ Area
    www.njfshing.com

ray from atlantis props NJ
    he is awesome
    Code Blue

Mine has the kamd300 straight inboards not 100% on thebprop but both my engines will smack 4000RPM quickly and it comes up out the hole with no vibrations or issues. My bottom is not super smooth and I don't use prop speed or anything. I have genset, and tower fish with no less then 4-5 people carry 600 pounds of ice on every trip and have enough gear to commercial fish for a small. Country. I cruise the boat at 3250-3300 rpm and that gives me a solid 25-26 knot cruise. Never have to touch the throttles for swell she just keeps on going.
    03 28' KAMD300 Inboards
    USCG 500 Ton Master
    Master of Towing
    https://neverenoughsportfishingllc.com

Pulled the boat out and sent the props to hale propeller, the props were completely wrong. Ill know more tomorrow about what they suggest for the boat. Ill call CC tomorrow and see if they can see what the boat originally came with for the trans. Once its back in the water Ill put a tach on the crank and shaft to verify

Thread Information