Thread: Cold Plate in fish boxes

Question Cold Plate in fish boxes

Has anyone installed a cold plate in the fish boxes of there boat? What model did you use, how did you install it and do you have any pictures?
    Thanks
    Dennis
    fishingcharters-capecod.com

Dennis

If you have the removable fishboxes it will not work unless you do not have anything you would need to get to like on the newer boats which have the fixed boxes. Again, if you have the removable boxes and move everything you need to get to into the engine room then I would call Mac and see if they can set you up with a system like in my boat. He could spec everything out to cruiseair with a boat they have at the factory and send all the pieces to you to connect up. You would just need to send them your boxes. They send the boxes to Cruiseair and they wrap the outside with the coils and install the temp sending unit.Doing it this way gives you a clean inside to the box and does not require any space. Add the compressor to the engine room (assuming it would fit somewhere) and connect everything together with quick connects. It all comes pre charged so just install and connect together. You will need a thru hull for the water pump for cooling.

I also assume that you do have a generator.

My compressor is rather large but it is for 3 boxes not 2. The one for 2 is a little smaller. You can see the temp controls toward the back of the boat from the compressor.

Here is a pic of my setup
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Split Decision; 08-05-2010 at 06:36 PM.
    Life is to short for an ugly boat

http://www.carolinaclassicboatowners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1709
    2005 32 Carolina Classic Sold
    Tom

I do have the fixed boxes (Although I’m quite sure how to get them out yet) I do not have a generator. Do they make one that would run off AC at the dock and use DC once the motors are running? I know they make refrigerators that work that way do they make it for a cold plate? If you had to shoot from the hip what would you guess the cost would be? I have seen other boats with a cold plate mounted to the inside if the box. I’m looking for a place to store my ice .I currently keep a big box on the deck that is not in the way until I drag out the fish blanket and I than transfer the ice into the blanket with the fish at that point the ice box is in the way. Anyone with any suggestions?

I just found a Isotherm catalog and it seem to have what you are looking for. They have many sizes and seem to run off 12 volt but no mention of 110 though I did'nt look hard.

Here is the web site

http://indelwebastomarineusa.com/

http://www.carolinaclassicboatowners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1709
    Tom

Dennis -- It is a great idea but I really don't think you will have enough room on a 28 for all the equipment or enough clearance to the hull to put the plates outside the fish boxes. I saw the installation on a 35 at the factory under construction. You just need a bigger boat for those giants!

I have had my eye on a 38' Holland but until I sell my 28CC I will have to work with what I have

On these systems the freezer plate would go on the inside of the box so that would not be a problem. Also with this syster it seems that you would need 1 compressor for each box and then you might have a space problem for 2 compressors. Maybe you could see if they could set it up with 1 larger compressn to do 2 boxes. The system is sized for the cubic ft capacity. As an example the unit for a 6 cu ft box for a refridg will only do 2 cu ft for a freezer so they need to be sized correctly. It does not show how large the compressors are in the catalogue.

Tom

Thread Information