Soda Blasting vs. Bead blasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soda Blasting vs. Bead blasting

I had an old Shamrock bead blasted years ago and had a number of small blisters opened up - it took weeks to fair and epoxy. Soda blasting seems to be the latest and greatest these days - but just wondering if bead blasting on a CC would be just as good since there doesn's seem to be a major problem with blisters. (The soda blaster who has the franchise in our area doesn't have sufficient insurance to satisfy the marina where I'll be stored for the winter, whereas the bead blaster does).
    Capt. B

Now a 2014 28' Regulator
    Wall, NJ

I sodablast down here in Virginia but dont know much about bead blasting. Baking soda is a softer material than gelcoat so the process doesn't remove any from your hull. A bonus is that if your hull was barrier coated it should stay on with little removal. Coincidentally, I just purchased a 28 up in Sandy Hook a couple of months ago and the previous owner had the hull soda blasted last year. Soda can also open up blisters. We have had customers who want them opened, especially the really big ones. If the blisters are small usually the soda does not open them up. Hope this helps some.
    Jim B.
    FLY'N FISH 35 Classic
    Va. Beach

Comment

Thanks for the info - but the marina that I'm stored at over the winter doesn't permit soda blasting - so I having it sand/bead blasted. I'll let you know how it turns out.
      Capt. B

Now a 2014 28' Regulator
      Wall, NJ

Comment

soda blasting vs bead

Nutz , do you do the work yourself or somebody else . i have a 28 in virginia and want to redo my bottom this winter and am looking for somebody .
        28 Classic - Brown Eyed Girls

Comment

They sand blasted my 28' yesterday. She was purchased in 98 and spent her early years in Florida, in the water year round - then up to Charleston - where she was also in the water year round. Brought her up to NJ 2 years ago - not one blister on the entire hull. Way to go MAC
          Last edited by Capt B; 12-09-2006, 11:59 AM.
          Capt. B

Now a 2014 28' Regulator
          Wall, NJ

Comment

Stanley, we do the work ourselves and are mobile. We have done alot of work at many of the local yards. Please call 757-343-9932. If you get the voice mail, Rob, the company owner will get back to you in short order. It is just the two of us and we have been doing it for 2 years. It is a one day process for boats our size. We do not repaint as that is something most yards will not let us do (cuts into their bottom line). The company name is Tidewater Soda Blasting, check out the website at tidewatersodablasting.com.
            Jim B.
            FLY'N FISH 35 Classic
            Va. Beach

Comment

Working...
            X