Gettin the catch aboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gettin the catch aboard?

This will be my first year without a tuna door. Anybody got a slick setup for getting giants aboard? I can't find any suggestions in the forum. Pictures are nice too.
    Best Fishes, Ethan
    Ethan D.
    "Fissues 2"
    Volvo D6-330's
    Marblehead, MA

get a heavy dockline, a come along and a blue tarp

tie the rope from a midship cleat back to a stern cleat

hook the come along to this rope in the middle.

now drape the tarp over the gunwale on the opposite side of the boat from the rope.

the side with the blue tarp on it will be the side you will bring the fish on board. put the rope thru the fish's mouth and attach it to the come along. winch him on up onto the blue tarp and he will slide over the gunwale like butter, just keep out of the way as momentum will be unstoppable.

cut the gill plates and prepare the other steps to rake out the stuff, cut the anus hole as normal, sever the tendons and pull it all thru the open gill plate. leave the fish on the one side and that will always be the down side of the fish. pack in ice and cover with a blanket or a tarp, or better yet some good old rice paper.

of course there are a few other steps in the coring out, but you get the general idea. hope it helps

Comment

I have used a block and tackle attached to the upper part of the tower using 3/8" chain slid thru a piece of rubber hose so it does not scratch the aluminum on the tower. I then hook the bottom hook of the block and tackle to the lower part of the tower using velcro straps. I keep it there year round attached to the tower so it is always ready for action. I have a giant head hook that can be sunk into the fish and clips to the block and tackle. Fishermans Outfitter sells the block and tackle as well as the head hook. I would recommend adding a SS clipping hook to the bottom of the block and tackle so the head hook does not pop off. I will try to attach a photo. It may sound confusing the way I am describing it but it really is simple and works well.
      Dennis

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I picked up the F.O. set up/ block and tackle. Now all I need is some MOJO. I hear it comes pre-installed on CC'S.
        Ethan D.
        "Fissues 2"
        Volvo D6-330's
        Marblehead, MA

Comment

Slow and steady

find the life; pull the engines back to just above idle and drag either bars or meat as far back as you can and set something short down the middle just past the wake.

I've pulled enough bluefin out of the Chatham/Sword/BB crowds when the bite is slow to have confidence the hull will bring them up.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I can't wait to see what she'll bring up! I got 66 tuna last year up to 504 lbs draggin around stuff behind my old 22' Pursuit. I've got no excuses now with the CC.
            Ethan D.
            "Fissues 2"
            Volvo D6-330's
            Marblehead, MA

Comment

Working...
            X