Sw Strainers Yes Or No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sw Strainers Yes Or No

On my boat there are no internal, basket type strainers. On the outside of the hull the intake plate is drilled with lots of very small holes.

Question: Why do some boats have basket strainers and some do not?
    Is it a function of engine mfg requirements or was it an option?

Yanmar 6LPs, no basket strainers
    NIGHTHAWK
    2001 CC 28
    Yanmar 300's

My 28 with the 250 Cummins was set up the same way as well as my 32 now with 425 Cummins. Those small perforations on the thru hull are about the same size as the holes in a basket strainer. IMO all is fine.

Chris
    "Pelagic" 2006 Classic 32

Comment

Originally posted by CClassic28 View Post
      My 28 with the 250 Cummins was set up the same way as well as my 32 now with 425 Cummins. Those small perforations on the thru hull are about the same size as the holes in a basket strainer. IMO all is fine.

Chris
      I agree and like the simplicity of what I have with less "joints" on the inside. I was just surprised to see many boats with basket strainers and don't know why they have them unless the pickups are different?
      NIGHTHAWK
      2001 CC 28
      Yanmar 300's

Comment

I have the basket strainers but a different intake plate on the bottom of the boat. Much larger holes for intake that eel grass, etc. can get through.
        Bullish
        2002 28
        Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

Interesting, I am thinking the basket strainer may be a Volvo requirement?

Do you guys with new D-4, D-6 boats have internal basket strainers?
          NIGHTHAWK
          2001 CC 28
          Yanmar 300's

Comment

Not on the 2006

I have D-6's in an 06 28' and there are no internal basket strainers.

Comment

Does anyone know what the difference is as the boat is built? Owner request, engine mfg recommendation for certain model years? What?
              NIGHTHAWK
              2001 CC 28
              Yanmar 300's

Comment

My guess is that this has been changed for all models around 2003. Perhaps someone can dispell my theory.
                Bullish
                2002 28
                Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bullish View Post
                  My guess is that this has been changed for all models around 2003. Perhaps someone can dispell my theory.
                  Mine is 2001 no strainers. Seems to be no pattern....yet.
                  NIGHTHAWK
                  2001 CC 28
                  Yanmar 300's

Comment

2003 VP 300s

on my 2004 28 and no basket strainers. Just the external screens everyone else has mentioned. I remember wondering about this a few years ago and talking to Mac. After that I relaxed my concern and all has been fine.

One thing about the SW pickup that sort of bugs me is that the hull under the screens is not painted. Just bare hull exposed to the SW. It becomes obvious if you take a look in the yard after your bottom is power washed prior to a new bottom job.

I also often wonder about my heat exchangers since they are never flushed with fresh water. I once spoke to a VP mechanic about adding one of those T'd in fresh water flush set-ups on each side. He said "probably not a bad idea but don't do it till after all your warranties expire".
                    Steve on Reel Screamer
                    2004 Carolina Classic 28

Comment

Puzzle solved!

Got this from Keith today:

"We have found the external strainers to be superior to the in-line strainers previously used. The external strainers are less subject to sucking up debris, especially eel grass, that can clog water intake lines and choke off water supply to the engine. The shape and forward motion of the boat will shed water on the face of the pickup eliminating debris and providing clean water. Anything small enough to pass through the holes in the external strainer will pass through the cooling system of the engine without doing damage. We used the external strainers on larger intakes such as the Yanmar and larger Cummins engines because the larger inline strainers were not available. We later switched all engines, including gas, to the external strainers after seeing how well they performed. Your only maintenance with the external strainer should be making sure the intake screen stays intact, and making sure the holes in the screen are open. Let me know if you have any more questions."

Thank You,

Keith Privott
                      NIGHTHAWK
                      2001 CC 28
                      Yanmar 300's

Comment

Working...
                      X