Winter Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Projects

Thought some project sharing ideas might liven up the winter a bit. Please share your off season projects.

Mine:

1. New SW intake hoses all around.
    2. Dual EGT gage http://www.isspro.com/proddetail.php?prod=R624
    3. Adding a 4th battery (parallel house)
    4. Ultra Safety Systems Bilge Float Switch (aft pump only)
    5. Replacing windlass rode with 8 plait and increasing to 200' w/30' chain
    6. Birdsail rodholders on hardtop pipe (four) http://www.birdsallmarine.com/clamp-ons-p-146.html

Yours?
    NIGHTHAWK
    2001 CC 28
    Yanmar 300's

1. Need to replace side curtains, as zippers have failed (utilized a silcone lube for electronics and it appearantly softened the plastic beads). Any suggestions for replacements?

2. Need to relocate chair, moving closer to transom, as I have a rocket launcher back rest (now), need the room for adequate passage for the larger guests. Suggestions for proper anchorage would be appreciated.

3. Most electrical connectors are in need of replacement.

4. Need suggestions for bottom paint / prep.

This list could keep growing, once I get started, as she is a 2002, with previous location in salty Beaufort, NC (until June 07)

"Over Billin"
    SSM, Ocean City, Md.
    2002 CC
    Volvo KAMD43's, Duo-Prop

Comment

Patriot, Please desribe what you are doing with the aft bilge setup. On my list, I plan to install a second bilge pump next to aft with another float a couple of inches higher than current float so I will have an independent back-up

Nothing too exciting here.....
      Install new stereo
      Sand bottom thoroughly with 100 or 120 grit. Thin Interlux paint thoroughly and apply thin coat.
      Never Dull for the aluminum
      Wax all gel coat surfaces
      Primer and paint for underwater metal
      Replace transom zinc
      Put props back on
      replace fuel pick up tubes (proactive)
      check all hoses and clamps
      change engine oil, compressor oil
      change all 4 fuel filters
      change water pump impellers
      replace gaskets for cabinet doors (most are leaky)
      Bullish
      2002 28
      Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

Bullish, are you changing the impellers yourself? If so is it an easy task? Do you need any special tools or just a very long pair of needle nose plyers? I have a pair of 300 Volvo's and I will be in need of making the sam repair.
        2003 28 Carolina Classic
        Twin 300 Volvo's

Comment

my list...

First, for usrower, I change the impellers on my 300's myself. It's pretty easy if you don't have a generator in the way. I pulled mine with a pair of pliers. The only slightly tricky part is to bend the fins the right direction as you press the new impeller in.

My list

replace my front eisenglass (above windshield)
          oil and filters change
          considering replacing my sea water hoses but they look fine
          wax all gel coat
          treat all aluminum
          finish touching up my bilgecoat under the fish boxes
          minor fiberglass repairs (dings) around the fish box lips
          improve my VHF performance (better antennas)
          see if someone can properly adjust my belts to eliminate annoying squeek I hear during warm up
          continue dreaming about adding a second bait tank
          Steve on Reel Screamer
          2004 Carolina Classic 28

Comment

USrower, if you can sit in front of the engine, it is fairly easy to work on the impellers. All you need is a rachet and 5 mm socket to remove the 6 screws on the cover plate to the impeller. Your setup is the same as mine. The hardest part may be taking the impeller out. Needle nose pliers would not work very well. You want larger adjustable size pliers. I use pliers like these:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...e&sName=Pliers

When you slide the new impeller in use some of the lube they provide. It is a tight squeeze to put them back in.

TwinFin, Have you tried to adjust the belts yourself? I invested in a quality torque wrench last Fall when I changed my compressor belts. I bought the kind that acts like a rachet. It has fixed the squeak. 14 mm socket on the rachet-torque wrench to tighten the belt and a 15 mm wrench for the locking nut is what is needed.
            Bullish
            2002 28
            Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info Bullish and TwinFin. It's going to be a tight fit for me because I have a genny and I am 6'5". Hopefully my partner can squeeze in there and if not I guess the mechanic will get the call.
              2003 28 Carolina Classic
              Twin 300 Volvo's

Comment

Originally posted by Bullish View Post
                Patriot, Please desribe what you are doing with the aft bilge setup. On my list, I plan to install a second bilge pump next to aft with another float a couple of inches higher than current float so I will have an independent back-up
                I am only changing the float switch on the aft pump. I had a severe case of electroylsis at the end of the season and found the Rule switch bad aft. That is the second Rule switch that has let me down so no more for me. This switch isn't cheap but is highly regarded and is used by the navy.

http://holoholo.com/ems/ultraswitch/index.html

I may someday add another pump but have tested the macerators as emergency pumps and they will put any bilge pump to shame...

A great source for zincs is BoatZincs.com

free shipping and they have everything at a good price. They supply the transom zinc to CC http://www.boatzincs.com/zhc-23.html
                Last edited by Patriot; 01-03-2008, 07:28 PM.
                NIGHTHAWK
                2001 CC 28
                Yanmar 300's

Comment

Thanks for the info on the float switch.

I think you told me about www.boatzincs.com last Winter. Saved me a nice buck.
                  Bullish
                  2002 28
                  Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by usrower View Post
                    Bullish, are you changing the impellers yourself? If so is it an easy task? Do you need any special tools or just a very long pair of needle nose plyers? I have a pair of 300 Volvo's and I will be in need of making the sam repair.
                    You might consider investing in an impeller puller. They look like gear pullers. It makes the job much easier -- also the impeller is not ruined as often happens with pliers so if it is in good condition, you can keep it as an emergency spare.

This is one puller:
                    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...peller+Pullers

Comment

Bluefin-

Were you able to change an impeller on your 6LP? Seems like the consensus is to pull the pump. I am changing mine in the spring and was wondering whether I should at least give it a try before pulling the entire pump. Not the best engineering design for sure on the part of Yanmar. It looks close to doable but I have heard so many say to just pull the pump.....
                      NIGHTHAWK
                      2001 CC 28
                      Yanmar 300's

Comment

Even with the impeller puller on the 25 it is vastly easier to change the impeller if you remove the entire pump assembly using the two fixing bolts. You might have a little better clearance on the 28 but the location of the pump is such that getting the impeller out is almost impossible with the pump on the engine. Chalk another one up to someone marinizing an engine without thinking about the poor slobs who have to maintain it.

Comment

Winter projects

Bullish and Patriot,
                          I purchase my zincs from MARSHALL MANUFACTURING Co. 757-824-4061. This is the company that Carolina Classic gets the zincs from. They will ship directly to you.
                          2003 28 Carolina Classic
                          Twin 300 Volvo's

Comment

Just out of curiosity what was the cost from Marshall shipped to your door for the big transom zinc? I paid:

ZHC-23 (Z-1) Commercial ZHC-23 105.61
                            Bolt-On Hull Zinc Anode
                            NIGHTHAWK
                            2001 CC 28
                            Yanmar 300's

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefin 32 View Post
                              Even with the impeller puller on the 25 it is vastly easier to change the impeller if you remove the entire pump assembly using the two fixing bolts. You might have a little better clearance on the 28 but the location of the pump is such that getting the impeller out is almost impossible with the pump on the engine. Chalk another one up to someone marinizing an engine without thinking about the poor slobs who have to maintain it.
                              Looks like the stbd engine is pretty easy, the port may require vodka and Advil post repair. I am just oing to pull both pumps and bring them to the bench. Thanks.
                              NIGHTHAWK
                              2001 CC 28
                              Yanmar 300's

Comment

Working...
                              X