Sure Could Use Some Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure Could Use Some Advice

I'm Really Trying To Figure Out What To Do With My Console. A Friend Of Mine Told Me This Site Would Be Helpful. So Far I Have Not Had One Single Response. I'm Sure Some Of You Guys Have Seen Alot More Than Me. Sure Could Use Some Advice! Thanks

What would you like to do?? Looking for larger electronics??

Chris
    "Pelagic" 2006 Classic 32

Comment

Renn,

You posted your question yesterday and are wondering why - after one day - you have had no responses. Have you gone through some of the old posts to see what has been done with consoles? Be patient - responses will come. No one to my knowledge has put a teak console in - are there custom consoles - that enlarged the ability on the older models to put in larger screens - yes - and they are on some older posts.
      Capt. B

Now a 2014 28' Regulator
      Wall, NJ

Comment

My Console Revisited

Sorry Guys I'm One Of These People Who Gets Something On My Mind And I Need To Find The Answers To Get It Done. Thanks For The Response. I Am Looking For More Room For My Electronics And I Am Also Trying For Bit Of A Custom Look To. As I Said Before To, I Really Don't Like The Wheel Being Up And Down. I'd Rather Have It On Top. Any Suggestions? Thanks

Comment

I was looking for something when I installed a larger GPS (Garmin 4212) in my 28. There is no way that it would fit on the top of the existing console where my Northstar is located. I ordered a pod mount and located it on the cabin roof next to the radio box. (see electronics post). I have also seen other boats when I was looking to buy that have completely rearranged the instrument panel. Remember it's only money to do the changes. There is no problem that enough money won't fix! Do a boat search on 28 Carolina Classic for sale and look at all the pictures. This will give you an idea.
          "Addison Leigh"
          1995 Carolina Classic 28'
          Wrightsville Beach, NC

Comment

I could be wrong, but I do believe that the 28 or even the 32 helm would fit on the 25. You could order one from the factory & start fresh & mount wherever you would like.

For slightly more space & a custom look I installed a teak dash panel for my dislpays to mount on.

Good luck,

Chris
            Attached Files

Comment

If you wanted to build one of the pod-style helms as a modification and relocate the wheel and engine controls, I would foresee two major issues. One is that the distance between the helm seat and the console is already fairly tight and of necessity something like you are after would cause the wheel to project another 6-10" at least. There just would not be room unless you replaced the entire helm.

The second problem if you have priced teak lumber lately is that even a small pod would be major $$$, especially if you don't have the skills or experience to do the work yourself. Don't even think of those nice side mounted single-lever controls -- the cost is measured n thousands, not hundreds.

A somewhat cheaper fix that may give you a little of what you are after would be to replace the helm pump with a tilt version so you could angle it. If you put a wedge shaped shim under it, you could get the wheel pretty close to horizontal when you where standing and then tilt it back to vertical when sitting. Go look at the Teleflex Sea Star steering website and you can see the tilt helms.

Comment

Thanks Guys I'm Going To Check On These Things. One Thing I Thought About Last Night Is I Wonder If There Is Even Enough Room For The Helm To Close If I Could Put The Wheel Where The Tach Is Now? Chris Thanks For The Picture, Very Nice!

Comment

I'm contemplating my console also.

Chris:

The console picutred is from a 28" or a 32'?
                  Thank You:
                  Lou

Comment

Lou,

It is from my 32... I do believe the 32 helm is now standard on the 28 though.

Chris

Comment

Chris:
                      Thanks, for the info.
                      Lou

Comment

Working...
                      X