Fighting Chair or Launcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting Chair or Launcher

Can anyone recomend a smaller fighting chair or launcher for a 28? Also, how it was installed. Thanks,

Capt. lee
    Capt. Lee C. Keidel
    Kingpin Sportfishing Co.
    Playa Tamarindo, CR

www.kingpin-sportfishing.com
    [email protected]
    011+(506)833-7780

I installed 80 lb. Pompanette chair on my 28 about three years ago. Works great and was no problelm to install. As I recall, 1 1/2 inch screws and a good bed of 5200 was what I used. We have put some good strain on it and never a problem yet. measure carefully before installing to be sure you have adequate clearance between foot rest and fish box/livewell. If you feel the chair takes too much space, the rocket launcher is a also great way to go in my opinion.

Comment

I had a rocket launcher in my 28. Like honeybee said, use 1-1/2" stainless screws and bed it with 5200. FWIW, I would use a quick-release plate when you install either...that way they can be easily removed should you want to free up some cockpit space.
      BTW, I had a Todd launcher and pedestal.
      Last edited by Wolakrab; 11-25-2007, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Do you have a pic of where you placed your launcher?
        Capt. Lee C. Keidel
        Kingpin Sportfishing Co.
        Playa Tamarindo, CR

www.kingpin-sportfishing.com
        [email protected]
        011+(506)833-7780

Comment

i installed the same 80 chair last spring. same inst.as per the factory. i used the pomp. quick release plate. works great. the chair takes up more room than i like for everyday fishing so i only put it on for offshore trips. CAUTION !!! put non skid strips on the plate after install. it gets REAL slippery...Charlie
          Attached Files

Comment

I see 2 for 2 on the 1 1/2" screws. Seems too long to me unless the pedestal base takes up a lot of screw length. I thought Mac was very clear about NEVER going all the way through the deck?
            NIGHTHAWK
            2001 CC 28
            Yanmar 300's

Comment

I used 1 1/2" screws and it does not go thru the deck. 80lb. pompanette chair does fine. If you go with the chair you could also get the rocket launcher for the back of the chair. Best of both worlds!

Fin&Sin
              Va. Beach Va.
              28 CC kamd 300's
              Fin&Sin
              2004 28' CC
              Kamd 300's
              Va.Beach Va.

www.virginiahomerepair.com

Comment

call the factory if unsure. they gave me very specific inst.to install the pomp.plate including screw size and length.the install was great. i just got a great deal on a rocket launcher back for my chair but have to wait till spring to test out.

Comment

I trust you guys on the screw length, it's just hard to comprehend that the deck can be that thick. Even with a 1/2" thick plate (most are thinner) you are still talking about a deck that is over one inch thick?
                  NIGHTHAWK
                  2001 CC 28
                  Yanmar 300's

Comment

If I remember correctly from my trip to the factory, I think it is about 1 1/4th inch -- 3/4" ply plus a total of 1/2 inch of laminates top and bottom.

Comment

deck plate

i went back and searched my post when i installed my chair. keith at the factory told me to use #14 1 1/2" ss screws and plenty of 5200 to mount the plate.

Comment

Today I measured the CC28 deck thickness in two places with a pair of deep calipers. The deck is exactly 1" thick. Putting a #14 1 1/2" screw through my base plate allows the screw to penetrate a tad more than 1 1/16" meaning it will penetrate the entire deck.
                        NIGHTHAWK
                        2001 CC 28
                        Yanmar 300's

Comment

Working...
                        X