Starboard engine coming out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starboard engine coming out

Had an issue on the last trip in December where the starboard lagged on the turbo spinning up when we were about 20 miles from home. It caught up and I thought maybe a burp in the fuel supply. Five minutes later I look back and the engine exhaust is blowing dark gray/black smoke. Gauges were all in the normal zone, but stopped and opened the hatch. Puke bottle on the manifold vent house and filled and then spewed oil out the top. Made the 15-mile run home on one engine. Had to haul and winterize the next day. The engine was still running like normal at this point until you got up to 1700 RMP where it would start smoking and would not spool up.

Researched the possible causes over the winter figuring it was likely a bad fuel solenoid or turbo. Worked with Tony Athens on some ideas. But in the spring, it turned over but would not start. Called the insurance company who finally authorized discovery tear down as first step.

Zero compression in cylinders 6 & 5. Clearly a blown head gasket. Mechanic also said there was moisture under all the value covers, thinking it was either coolant or water. Didn’t lose much if any coolant, but he thinks based on the puke bottle incident that is probably a bad piston ring that led to the oil pushing out and blowing the head gasket.
    Anyway, working to get hauled and blocked so we can pull the engine. First task is clearing the hatch. I remember folks talking about slowly working wood wedges under the tackle centers to break the adhesive loose. Plan on removing bolts and starting that tomorrow so we can get the hatch vertical.

Any other tips on engine removal? These 6BTAs are a beast. I read that ABEL separated his transmission and left it in place, but he already had the head off. Mechanic thinks we can leave the transmission in place and disconnect at the shaft to remove it in one piece.

Plan on calling Keith before we attempt to pull the engine. Any lessons learned?

Thanks
    Steve
    Steve
    Reel Freedom
    2000 CC 28
    CUMMINS 6BTAs
    Cape May, NJ

If the 2000 28 still has the smaller hatch, no need to pull the tackle station off (just the seats) to get the hatch vertical. Not sure about the bigger hatch.

Comment

Just pull seats and pedestals up. Leave the sink and tackle station in place. Unhook Rams and tie the hatch up vertical. Unbolt gear from engine and leave in the hole.bjust curious why did you have to call your insurance company to get authorization to tear the engine down? Will they cover this sort of issue?
      03 28' KAMD300 Inboards
      USCG 500 Ton Master
      Master of Towing
      https://neverenoughsportfishingllc.com
      sigpic

Comment

Remove the seats/pedestals, leave the boxes. unbolt the lifts, lift it to vertical and tie to the hardtop. 10 bolts on the tranny all from 8 oclock to 4 oclock. Water intake hose is a bitch. Fuel hose, oil change line on bottoem end should have a fitting joining 2 hoses and cut the engine wire harness, only 7 14guage wires, easy peasy. Remove the top nots from the forward engine mounts. Loose engine mounts from the boat, the engine needs to slide forward to slide off tranny input shaft. 3/8 chain is enough, I had the head removed and used the head bolts. Use a forklift if you can, if a boom truck find one with the smallest block up front that you can. You will need to use a chain fall as there's not enough clearance to use the tackle on the boom truck. Hold onto your old engine until the new one is in hand. You will need to transfer parts over to make a perfect match.
        https://www.facebook.com/clegssportfishing/

Comment

Guys,
          Thanks for the responses over the holiday weekend. Also got to talk with John (Abel) today as well.

Mouse,
          My insurance is through NBOA and underwritten by AIG. If it is mechanical AND Sudden AND Accidental, it is covered to some degree (depreciation plays in it). The insurance is covering costs for what they call discovery. Discovery in this case is tear down until the problem is diagnosed. Since the pressure test alone couldn't give a definitive diagnosis, we will continue with tear down. Every $$ they cover is less out of my pocket.

Today, I removed the tackle centers to make it easier and probably do some work on them anyway. The biggest pain was having to remove the inner shell to get to the top of the screw heads for the four bolts holding them in. One came free as soon as I removed the four bolts. The other only took a few taps with wooden door shims to pop it free. Still cleaning up the dirt and adhesive under there.

Tomorrow I will remove the pedestal base and poles. I hope to have the full green light from the insurance company to haul, block, and pull the engine by Tuesday afternoon.

Already starting to think through what else I want to do while one engine is out.
          Steve
          Reel Freedom
          2000 CC 28
          CUMMINS 6BTAs
          Cape May, NJ

Comment

Good deal makes sense for sure.
            03 28' KAMD300 Inboards
            USCG 500 Ton Master
            Master of Towing
            https://neverenoughsportfishingllc.com
            sigpic

Comment

When the raw water pump took out my Stbd. engine in 2014, my insurance company agreed to pay for discovery. They paid for haul and block, pulling the engine, tear down and failure diagnosis. They determined it was the fault of the r/w pump and I was then on my own financially. Still, even though they paid nothing toward repairs, The discovery process that they did approve payment on did save me a couple of thousand off my total bill. On a not so good note, involving the insurance company also added an additional month on the hard, because my hands were tied until they were through. The gears start to turn a lot slower when you involve a third party.
              sigpic
              Art. . .

Fine Catch
              1999 28 Carolina Classic
              Cummins 4bta's
              Sandy Hook & Raritan Bay area

Comment

Steve,

I my engines blowing a lot of smoke and losing compression 10 years ago. My mechanic gave me a price to rebuild the engines. He then gave me a price for factory remans that was $5,000 more per engine. I asked him if there was a market for my used engines. He said there was and got $4,500 per engine for them. I haven't had many no brainers like that; rebuilt engines with very little warranty or factory remans for $500 per engine more and 3 year warranties.

Good luck with it and hope you're back on the water soon.

Keith
                Teasers
                1996 28 CC
                6BTAs

Comment

who is your insurance company??? and no question gotta drop tranny
                  Code Blue

Comment

Steve,
                    Sorry to hear about your engine-if I could, I'd bring one with me next week, as I'll be there in Roanoke working.
                    kelvin

Comment

Code Blue,
                      Insurance is through National Boat Owners Association (NBOA) and is underwritten by AIG. I have the boat insured for $75,000 and a 3-month winter layup. That costs me $1,050 a year including the NBOA membership fee. This is the third claim in 12 years and I have never had any problems.

Kelvin,
                      Safe travels. We were down that way two weeks ago when our youngest graduated from Virginia Tech. Boat got hauled today and the mechanics are supposed to pull the engine mid-week and take it back to their local shop for tear down and a definitive diagnosis of the problem. Hope to be back up in within 3 weeks.

Steve
                      Steve
                      Reel Freedom
                      2000 CC 28
                      CUMMINS 6BTAs
                      Cape May, NJ

Comment

thanks and good luck. Ive pulled engine(s) 3 times i might have to get a quote from them
                        Code Blue

Comment

IMG_1234_HEVC_Moment(5).jpg
                          IMG_1242.jpg
                          IMG_1243.jpg
                          Well, the motor came out yesterday as did the transmission. Slide off the transmission with little problem but no matter how much we tried to nose dive the engine after separating it from the transmission, it just wouldn't clear the lip of the transmission by about two inches. I think the problem is that the Cummins installed lift rings are not centered on the engine causing it to constantly tilt to the right. We even tried adding another strap to correct that problem, but we were about an inch short of the space we needed. So they disconnected the trans at the shaft, lifted out the trans, and even then, it was tight getting the engine out but we managed.

Now that the engine is in the shop undergoing tear down for the diagnosis, I have a big hole to clean out this weekend and crawl around to all the spaces and places I could never get to. I plan on taking pictures along the way of the infamous side doors and other things. Let me know if there is a particular itch for a certain area on the earlier CC28s.

Steve
                          Steve
                          Reel Freedom
                          2000 CC 28
                          CUMMINS 6BTAs
                          Cape May, NJ

Comment

One of my PITA issues is getting to the weep holes under the false floor and even trying to clean under there. I always wondered if it might be better to either make the holes in the false floor much bigger for better acess to the weep holes.
                            2004 cclassic28 cummins 6b330's

Comment

So which ones are you referring to?

The only ones on my 2000 that definitely have a false floor is in the battery compartment area. Center forward of the battery compartment area drains aft under that battery floor to the rear.

The forward ones between the engine side to inside the center stringer seemed to go completely through but be angled down, so I think there may be a false floor as it goes forward under the cabin. I plan to investigate that this weekend.

Verdict appears to be the engine is not economically repairable. Blown head gasket and appears to be two blown piston rings (5 & 6). Slight rust on all pistons and most of the values. calls for machining all cylinders and both block and head. Turbo sees shot as well. Seems to have ingested water throughout the engine, suggesting the core of the aftercooler failed. Probably pulling the trigger on a reman engine from Cummins tomorrow after talking to the insurance guy.

Looks like a new engine no matter in insurance pays or not. Going with a complete remans engines with all new parts. Will have to do a few minor mods for turbo bend and expansion tank (reusing). Looks like $26K after trade in and comes with 2 yr / 2,000 hr warranty.

Cummins said they can deliver in less than a week, so hope to be back in the water by 4th of July.

Originally posted by Toothy Prize View Post
                              One of my PITA issues is getting to the weep holes under the false floor and even trying to clean under there. I always wondered if it might be better to either make the holes in the false floor much bigger for better acess to the weep holes.
                              Steve
                              Reel Freedom
                              2000 CC 28
                              CUMMINS 6BTAs
                              Cape May, NJ

Comment

Working...
                              X