Installing freshwater cooling kit and flush attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing freshwater cooling kit and flush attachment

Anyone have experience installing a freshwater cooling kit on a carb'ed Volvo 7.4? I would assume that for a boat used in saltwater it would be a prudent move. I'm curious if this is a DIY activity and where the best source would be to get a kit?

Also, what hardware do you need and how do you install a fitting to the raw water intake to flush the engine with a hose?

Thank you for listening to these basic questions!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comment

Lets start with how many hours or better yet how old?
      Life is to short for an ugly boat

sigpic
      2015 Enclosed Helm 35
      Tom

Comment

600 hours (1997 model). Looks and runs like new. Mechanical survey very strong. Always flushed after use.

I'd like to get another couple of years out of it before a Crusader 8.1 repower.

Thanks!

Comment

If you are looking to get only 2-3 more years, I would not change a thing. It is not cheap to do and since you are changing to a crusader you might not be able to reuse the parts on the new engine. Just put all new with the repower and don't wast time and money on what you have now.

If you want to check pricing try calling Engines1 and ask for Tim. They are in your neck of the woods. You can get the phone # off their web site.
          Life is to short for an ugly boat

sigpic
          2015 Enclosed Helm 35
          Tom

Comment

I've decided against adding a freshwater cooling kit but do want to add a "y" valve or something similar to the raw water seacock to allow the engine to be flushed on a lift.

Anyone have any pictures and/or parts recommendation or list?

Thanks!

Comment

check on here for posts concerning a Groco valve installation.

Comment

Originally posted by gofshn View Post
                check on here for posts concerning a Groco valve installation.
                It looks like the Groco SSC is the way to go (thank you for the lead ). Next question...does anyone know the size to use on the CC25?

The boat is 4.5 hours away and I'd like to place an order this week.

Also, does anyone use any of the other accessories like the inline strainer?

Sorry for the newbie questions....there will be more, though!

Comment

should be 1 and a quarter inside diameter
                  2004 28 VOLVO 300 DIESELS

Comment

I would add a water separator if you don't already have one. With the new fuels containing alcohol you may find it beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by deepwater View Post
                      I would add a water separator if you don't already have one. With the new fuels containing alcohol you may find it beneficial.
                      Are you referring to a fuel filter with the clear "bowl" on the bottom?

Comment

Working...
                      X