Propeller shaft line cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller shaft line cutter

Anyone have any info on a cutter which can be installed on the shafts of a 28 to prevent a line from fouling the prop?
    1965 MFG 16'
    1973 Grady White 18'
    205' USCG Cutter Tamaroa - Engineer
    125' FEADSHIP M/Y "Gillian" - Engineer
    50' Gulfstar S/Y - Mate
    2005 Wellcraft 23' center console
    2007 Carolina Classic 25
    2007 Carolina Classic 28

I think CC has them or did previously as an option. I am sure they will get you some if you call. There are numerous companies that make them. Spurs Marine is pretty big:

http://www.spursmarine.com/shaft_main.htm

a "Google" search for "propeller line cutters" will find you other choices. I personally have had issues with them on a previous boat rattling and making a "clicking" noise which caused an unplanned haul out. (they were probably in need of service/replacement) I won't put them on my boat but do keep a mask on board at all times. Of course in the early spring and late fall, going in the water to cut away a line wouldn't be any fun. There are also some that believe spur cutters interfere with ideal prop performance on some applications, I don't have any knowledge of that issue on a CC-28 specifically. I would agree that there is some sort of safety factor involved here where in close quarters like entering a harbor and wrapping up a floating trap line on both screws could be a bad thing. I would be interested to hear how many have them installed and how they have held up.

This article shows the three basic types: http://www.quickutter.com/
    Patriot
    Last edited by Patriot; 02-17-2008, 01:10 PM.
    NIGHTHAWK
    2001 CC 28
    Yanmar 300's

Comment

From what I have been told from some users,they do work great. The only complaint was the loss of at least 1 kt cruise and some vibration.
      Life is to short for an ugly boat

sigpic
      2015 Enclosed Helm 35
      Tom

Comment

I looked into this and Mac does not feel they are a good idea. The cutter fits between the propeller and the strut and requires lengthening the shaft. This allows more flex and apparently has resulted in broken shafts.

He said "it was up to me" but made it pretty clear he thought the risk was not inconsequential of a broken shaft.

Comment

I'd listen to Mac

Having snapped a shaft 2 years back I would strongly recommend against adding any more space and potential play between strut and prop hub. Extra flex, heavy boat, heavy seas is not a corner of the performance envelope I ever want to be in.

I have also heard the cutters are ineffective at idle/troll and can bind up even worse than w/ out them. I have also heard if that happens its almost impossible to cut a rope out w/ out shredding your hands.

I have mask and snorkel, 3 mm wet suit for warm water and a 5 mm wet suit if someone has to go in 50'ish water which would be miserable even w/ thick suit.

Bluefin's back yard is the area of fear for me; 5 miles of unordered lobster pots in heavy current and choppy seas makes for a pre dawn pucker factor every time through.

Comment

Originally posted by backman View Post

Bluefin's back yard is the area of fear for me; 5 miles of unordered lobster pots in heavy current and choppy seas makes for a pre dawn pucker factor every time through.
            Something about the "devil you know...." I am perfectly comfortable cruising through the pots near home but near panic in Backman's "side yard" when I run through the gauntlet in Nantucket Sound and east and see pots pop up out of nowhere from near horizontal as the current drags them under.

I think line cutters are probably okay on bigger boats with large diameter shafts and slower turning props, but I also had one prop guy tell me that they were "the shaft makers' best marketing tool."

Comment

The differences

I hope you don't mind me adding some comments here, but the thread was highlighted as Patriot had mentioned the quicKutter website link.

Most of the information you will come across relating to line (US) or rope (UK) cutters is from those that have experience of the scissor cutter types. These have rotating blades attached to the shaft and a fixed blade on the strut, they act like a pair of scissors. They have been around for over 20 years so there are many 1000's out there.

More recently quickwater marine developed the shaver cutter, no rotating blades, no bearings, and in some cases no gap or space required between prop and strut. This is a very different approach to the problem. As this device has only been available fairly recently you won't here much about it for a while and not many have been sold in the States yet.

You can read about it and see images of a variety of fittings on h4marines website or on quickwater marines site, or search for quicKutter which is the trade name.

I'm happy to answer specific questions if you have any.

Comment

H4, Do you have to pull the prop to install and how much for cutters for 1 1/2" shaft? US
                Thanks
                Ethan D.
                "Fissues 2"
                Volvo D6-330's
                Marblehead, MA

Comment

http://www.h4marine.com/Prices.htm
                  NIGHTHAWK
                  2001 CC 28
                  Yanmar 300's

Comment

Fitting quicKutter

Yep I'm afraid you do have to remove the prop, the reason is...
                    The spool (composite material ToughRtex) works like a winch drum when debris gets caught, in that it wraps tightly and is being turned by the engine, turning the debris against the fixed blade is what does the cutting/shaving. So the drive for this needs to be taken through the prop and keyway, anything less and it could slip and then it wouldn't work. You can see this in the gallery pictures as the grey material. It's supplied in unfinished logs for machining to finished size.
                    16 size cutters are suitable for spool OD up to 4.5" (which will be roughly equal to the bearing carrier OD)
                    25 size cutters are for spools larger than 4"

The spool is bolted to the prop to take this drive and is bedded on epoxy.
                    Fitting sheets can be downloaded from our site rope cutter page.

The great thing is once fitted there really is virtually no maintenance, so its worth the extra cost and effort in fitting it well.

We have an agent in Florida now who could help with any questions you may have, Seatorque control systems contact details below.
                    http://www.h4marine.com/Distributors.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X