Manual engine shut down's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual engine shut down's

Has anyone considered / installed manual engine shut down's for the Yanmar 315's? I am just wondering if there should be an alternate way to turn off the diesels in case of a fire, overspeed, etc.
    1965 MFG 16'
    1973 Grady White 18'
    205' USCG Cutter Tamaroa - Engineer
    125' FEADSHIP M/Y "Gillian" - Engineer
    50' Gulfstar S/Y - Mate
    2005 Wellcraft 23' center console
    2007 Carolina Classic 25
    2007 Carolina Classic 28

manual engine shutdown........

Lift the fish box and shut off the fuel just aft of the racor?
    Laukia

Comment

On the 2007 28, the fishboxes don't come out. (Well they do but are sealed in.) There must a Yanmar option to shut off air or fuel WITHOUT opening the engine hatch, the last you would want to do if fire were present.
      JuliaGCC25
      Last edited by JuliaGCC25; 02-10-2008, 11:11 PM.
      1965 MFG 16'
      1973 Grady White 18'
      50' Gulfstar S/Y - Mate
      2007 Carolina Classic 25
      2007 Carolina Classic 28

Comment

My 2001 6LP-STE has a stop button that controls a solenoid valve on the fuel injector pump, when the button is depressed it cuts off fuel to the engine.This comes in handy after the boat has sat for an extended time as you can hold down the button and crank the engine to bring up oil pressure before you actully start the engine .

Setter

Comment

JuliaGC-

You make a good point. The stop button setter refers to can be added but in effect it does nothing more than your key switch does when turned to "off" as far as your concern about an emergency shutdown. Some boats have the stop buttons, some do not including my 2001. There is no manual shutdown as found on some engines. To be honest getting to one in an engine fire situation would be futile anyway.
          NIGHTHAWK
          2001 CC 28
          Yanmar 300's

Comment

Not so sure about that Patriot. With engines running, fuel is being pumped and air is still being sucked into the engine compartment. I have seen some fire supression systems that automatically cut off engines when auto fire extinguisher activates. Not sure that I would want that, but would like to have another means of stopping engines besides the key switch.

anyone else have any thoughts?
            1965 MFG 16'
            1973 Grady White 18'
            50' Gulfstar S/Y - Mate
            2007 Carolina Classic 25
            2007 Carolina Classic 28

Comment

I was referring to a manual linkage right on the engine like lot's of older engines had. The problem is on a CC you would be an idiot to try and get to it. Take a look where it would be on your port engine and then tell me you want to try and trip it with an engine room fire.
              If you want to wire up a remote shutdown, all it takes is a wire and a pushbutton, pull switch or whatever you want. You could locate it anywhere on the boat. The point is what you have right now is the exact same thing as having a pushbutton, they both drop the fuel solenoid and cut off fuel immediately. You could easily add another emergency switch aft, maybe up under the gunnels if so inclined but a remote, manual pull stop option does not exist on these engines without a whole lot of redesign. The idea of a fuel shut-off back aft even if your boxes were removable doesn't have much merit either as your engine will run for a very long time with fuel shut off. From my firefighting training both merchant and navy the plan on a 28CC should be to not ever open the hatch for any fire. Secure engines, rely on suppression and get your crew ready to abandon. Life is too short.
              Patriot
              Last edited by Patriot; 02-11-2008, 09:22 PM.
              NIGHTHAWK
              2001 CC 28
              Yanmar 300's

Comment

why would the engine continue w/ the fuel shut off?

Granted there's a couple quarts in the fuel lines and filters, but wouldn't the vaccum from the closed valve starve the flow and kill the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by backman View Post
                  Granted there's a couple quarts in the fuel lines and filters, but wouldn't the vaccum from the closed valve starve the flow and kill the engine?
                  absolutely but you will be surprised how long it will take.
                  NIGHTHAWK
                  2001 CC 28
                  Yanmar 300's

Comment

Working...
                  X