Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CC 28 Repower Questions

Evening-
    Think the water ingestion issue finally got me on the 7.4's, compression tested the cyclinders this past weekend and with 310 hrs (110 hrs are from this past season, the previos 200hrs are from 1999 to 2006 from previous owner) two of the cylnders are reading 45% less compression than all the rest. I had noticed a slight loss of kts at normal 3400 rpm crusie as well as thottle positions (which have been identical majority of the season) started to change on the port engine, which led me to do the compression test. I am assumign it is ingestion as removal of the manifolds has shown some severe corrosion in the exhaust ports on both sides, on the cylinders (#2, 3, 5, and 6) that sit directly below the main channel in the manifoild/riser. I was expeciting to go through the repower eventually, not this soon.... but so far I have accepted with a positive outlook......

I am currently/was runnign 7.4's with Dou props (with 1.95 ratios). Has any one completed a similar repower to diesel. I am more interested in fuel economy and range, but still would like to cruise at 24 kts, and have enough torque for when it gets nasty, or loaded down with gear for overnighters.

I was hoping to keep the same drive, and go with Volo 260s hp or the Yanmar equalivent. Is the Volvo 260 enough engine and can I keep the DPE drive with 1.95 gr? Any pros/cons or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks again
    Bix
    CC 28
    Indian River,DE

Have I got a deal for you

I just sent my boat to CC for a Crusader repower to 8.1's. The old engines are to be had at a steal $1500 for both. This is two complete engines with new manifolds, risers. all the goodies. Send me a PM if you are interested and I will give you the details.
    "Addison Leigh"
    1995 Carolina Classic 28'
    Wrightsville Beach, NC

Comment

Are these carb'ed engines? How many hours?

Maybe a spare would be useful!

Comment

These are Fuel Injected 7.4 Gi's, approx 320 hrs on each engine. They suffered from not being ran for the 1st 8 yrs of thier life, I have owned the boat a little over a year and put over a 100 of those hrs on this summer. Sounds like you want the carb engines, but if FI will work let me know.
        Volvo is recomending a drive replacement to go with the D4's as there is some allingment issue with the older drives and the D4's(not sure what at this point), so I will mostl likely have a functioning set of DPE outdrives as well as new (last year) B6 props.

Comment

I've got a carb'ed engine. For simplicity's sake I'd buy a similar engine to facilitate a quick swap if I needed another engine.

There should be some takers for your FI engines...the low hours are nice.

Comment

Mine are carb 7.4. check your PM.
            "Addison Leigh"
            1995 Carolina Classic 28'
            Wrightsville Beach, NC

Comment

Yanmar Question

Evening-

Does anyone know if Yanmar makes a 315 that will bolt directly to the jackshaft or do you have to use the conversion kit to do so. I have been told by two seperate yanmar dealers, one says they do, one says they don't. The engine numbers are identical from both dealers 6LP-STP2.

Anyone with Yanmar 315 J/S, could you let me knowwhat props are you running and the performance, WOT, etc.

Thanks for the help

Bix
              28CC
              IRI, DE

Comment

Yanmar

I had a 315 jackshaft boat and ran 24p's. Loaded, the boat would cruise 31kts and top out at 36 kts. With full fuel, no gear, and one guy, it would cruise 33kt and touch 39kts WOT.

Fast boat, but having a set of drives that stay together for more than 75 hours...well that is a completely different story. If you can figure that out, let us know.

Comment

Drive Ratio

Oh yeah, the drive ratio I was running with the 24's was 1.81:1

Comment

Yanmar Question

Thanks for the reply-

Did you have Mercruiser or Volvo Outdrives? I have Volvo DPE Drives with 1.95 ratios. Talked to CC and Layton boat works, both said with the Vovlo drives should not have any problem, but would like to know if they will.

With the Yanmars, did you have room to access the Genset?

Thanks
                    Bix

Comment

Mercruiser Bravo Three Diesel X-Drives

I had several of those drives, which is why I now have an inboard. There were a couple of boat owners that converted thier boats to the volvo drives and I think they had good results. However, CC still had problems with the bearing assemblies rounding out the housing at the end of the jackshafts. Which is likely a jackshaft design issue, and not a volvo drive problem.

I dont' know what to tell you other than the jackshaft diesel boats had a ton of problems. Maybe the new volvo drives will have no problems coupled to the 315 yanmar. I'd be real cautious though, as I am not aware of any volvo jackshaft boats coupled to any engines over 285 hp (Kamd 300), and there were only a few of those.

The new volvo drives designed for the d-6's would certainly be sufficient, but I don't think they would work with your current volvo drive housing assembly. For the amount of money you will spend on the diesel conversion and the drive replacement, you might be better off to stay with the gas configuration and just repower, or trade up to a used inboard boat.

No one will be able to tell you if the yanmar-volvo set up will work, because I don't think more than one or two boat owners have had that set up. If you are willing to take the risk, then you will have a fast boat...but you will never come close to getting your money out of the boat if you decide to sell it because of the problems associated with the orginal yanmar jackshaft set up.

Comment

Genset

My yanmar boat had no genset, but you can definately fit one. It makes servicing the engines a pain. Go on yacht world and look for a 2000 28 out of New York. That is a yanmar jackshaft set-up with a generator. I think there is a picture of the engine room with the ad.

Comment

No Genset

Sorry, I just checked and the 2000 yanmar jackshaft boat does not have a generator.

Comment

Working...
                          X