Seawater Hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seawater Hoses

While inspecting things for my winter projects I was quite surprised with the condition of sea water intake hose(s). At first glance they look great but if you look real close they are covered with splits/cracks running around the circumference. You can really see them by flexing the hose a bit. This is evident on both engine hoses and the smaller saltwater intake for washdown. They are all in about the same condition so I guess it is an aging thing. Hoses are original 2001 to the best of my knowledge.

Going to change them all out. Cost is about $10 a foot for the 2". Haven't shopped the price hard yet but here is one source:

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=52129F
    Last edited by Patriot; 11-26-2007, 09:53 PM.
    NIGHTHAWK
    2001 CC 28
    Yanmar 300's

I replaced a couple this year that had sharp bends in them and subsequent cracking. I think the heat from the engines shortens the life span. Mine are all 1.5 inch diameter and I paid about $7 per foot. I carry an extra 8 foot o flex hose on board so I can make repairs at sea if neccessary.
    Bullish
    2002 28
    Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

I proactively do this every 5 years

I had every hose on my old 42's replaced; fresh water circuit; raw water circuit and oil hoses after 5 years/~2K hours. I believe it was ~2K total cost for hoses and labor. Obvioulsy DIY would be a lot less. To me its a no brainer to just do it ona regular basis and not worry versus waiting till you see cracks or worse yet; something pops under load on a 95 degree day, 80 miles out.

I also carry 3' of 2", 1/12 and 1" hoses on board as well as a supply of hose clamps and the magic hose tape.

the other money I gladly piss away each winter is a full hose and clamp inspection by the marina mechanics. I do this myself also; but the 400$/half day of someone else's eyes on everything is cheap insurance to me.

Comment

Since we are on topic of hoses

How do you check the hose for the livewell? It is burried, isn't it? I read an article not too long ago that said about 15-20% of all sunk boats are due to livewell failure. Makes sense since a broken hose to your livewell could be pumping water into your boat without you knowing for a while.
        Bullish
        2002 28
        Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

Be sure to check

your gear box cooling lines too. Fairly tight bends there on my 28 and I was suprized to find cracks in those hoses very early on - no leaks but cracks visible.

Out of curiosity - how many of you guys close all of your seacocks when slipped but not in use? (i.e. in between trips)
          Steve on Reel Screamer
          2004 Carolina Classic 28

Comment

Gear box cooling lines?

Please provide some direction...not sure what those are.

I don't close my sea cocks in the slip.
            Bullish
            2002 28
            Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

Closing intakes.

I've been advised by a local mechanic to close all intakes between trips, and shut down shore power, after seeing what appeared to be white corrosion in the anti-fouling paint around all the intakes (the old galvanic corrosion process). What are the rest of you guys doing ? Closing all the intakes after every trip is killing my back, my raw water and gen intakes are in front of port engine, not easy to get to for a big guy.
              Three B's

Comment

The live well, washdown and toilet supply seacock intake is just forward of the port engine (I don't have a genset so location may vary?). The hose then runs through the engine compartment bulkhead to the pump on the bulkead behind the refrigerator. The fridge comes out real easy for access back there. Pull the screws that attach the fridge flange to the frame of the opening, slide the fridge straight back. You can then unplug the AC outlet cord and set the fridge on the floor. Now you have relatively good access to your saltwater pump, fresh water pump and AC cooling pump and hioses if equipped. Changing the seawater hose is not hard at all. For that hose I would recommend the Shield's Series 262. It is expensive hose but at that small size it is no big deal in cost and this is the best hose you can use. I can't justify the cost of it for the engine intakes and will go with ShieldsFlex II that is better than factory OEM on most boats.

http://www.shieldshose.com/shields/p...gine_hose.html
                NIGHTHAWK
                2001 CC 28
                Yanmar 300's

Comment

Have you ever replaced the hose that runs from the saltwater pump to the livewell?
                  Bullish
                  2002 28
                  Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

I need to look at that but am pretty sure it does not go all the way to the pump. Take a look up under and behind the SW wash faucet. I think it comes from there and is not "hose" put pvc tubing that should last a lifetime if it hasn't cracked from freezing. I have to double check next time I get under the wrap but seem to remember that all the discharge connections from both the FW and Washdown pumps are continuous drawn PVC tube?
                    NIGHTHAWK
                    2001 CC 28
                    Yanmar 300's

Comment

That would be good. I'll have to check next time I am down the boat.
                      Bullish
                      2002 28
                      Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

Sorry Bullish

Just saw your note. I have heat exchangers on each gear box. Mine are located above the gear boxes. See the pic I attached here.
                        Attached Files
                        Steve on Reel Screamer
                        2004 Carolina Classic 28

Comment

That cylinder above the transmission is a heat exchanger for the transmission?
                          Bullish
                          2002 28
                          Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

Yes

ATF runs through the small lines and raw water runs through the center of the coolers. One of my coolers has pretty tight turns on the small lines so the outside of the tubing has developed cracks. No leaks - just cracks on the outside. Good to watch these exchangers as part of your maintenance. I have heard they can rust out and it is possible to loose your ATF out the exhaust path without knowing it - at least till your gear box is damaged. I have the Hurth gear boxes (ZF marine).
                            Steve on Reel Screamer
                            2004 Carolina Classic 28

Comment

Interesting. I'll check those hoses the next time I am at the boat. I believe I have the same make/model of trans that you have.
                              Bullish
                              2002 28
                              Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X