Volvo D6 330 vs D4 300's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo D6 330 vs D4 300's

I am purchasing a new CC 28 with a tower and am trying to decide between the Volvo twin D6 330 hp diesels, and the D4 300 hp diesels. The 6D's are of course much more expensive and I am wondering if they are worth the investment. I also understand that the 6D's have not been used in that many boats as yet. I would be interested in hearing about anyone's experience with either engines-good or bad. Dealer support in this area (Groton, CT) is supposed to be very good for Volvo's. Thank you.

Volvo's

I have a pair of 300 volvo's in my 2003 28' CC and I like them. But with anything there are pros and cons.
    The cons.
    If you get the genset, you will have limited room to work on the engines.
    Some parts are pricey.
    Volvo dealers are not too prevalent.

The pros.
    The motors seems to last.
    A lot of maintenance work you can do yourself.
    2003 28 Carolina Classic
    Twin 300 Volvo's

Comment

D-260

I just repowered with D 260's...1997 cc28...I have all the power one would ever need.....thanks to Layton's Custom Boatworks....I also have a lot more access to my generator than what I did with the old Volvo TAMD 41 6 cylinder
      W.B. Griffin
      >=<((((('>

Comment

I have Volvo KAD 43's (6 cylinder, 3.6 litre, 230 hp) in my 28 and I like them but if I were choosing from new, in my entirely unprofessional opinion I'd prefer 5.5 litre engines producing 330 hp (or I'd choose a lower rating and lose the supercharger) over 3.7 litre engines producing 300 hp. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still believe that you don't get anything for nothing. If it generates more power for it's capacity, it lasts less long.
        Last edited by Captain Spike; 11-25-2007, 05:43 AM.
        Tigerlily - CC 28
        Algarve, Portugal

www.Leadertec.com

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Spike View Post
          I have Volvo KAD 43's (6 cylinder, 3.6 litre, 230 hp) in my 28 and I like them but if I were choosing from new, in my entirely unprofessional opinion I'd prefer 5.5 litre engines producing 330 hp (or I'd choose a lower rating and lose the supercharger) over 3.7 litre engines producing 300 hp. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still believe that you don't get anything for nothing. If it generates more power for it's capacity, it lasts less long.
          Actually the good news is that the only motors in the D4/D6 series that have superchargers are the ones used with sterndrives. The straight inboard versions do not have them, unlike some of their predecessors in the 43 series. This was explained to me by a senior Volvo engineer, who said the reason had more to do with marketing than necessity.

Comment

Depends on you.

I have D-6's and I love the engines. However, if you are not willing to pay the extra money, or you want a generator then you must go with the D-4.

Most owners posting info with the D-4/260 feel that it is adequate power for the 28'. Loaded, you will see a 26 kt cruise. T-Swann posted a while back with peformance numbers on the D-4/300, I believe it was 28-29kts at loaded cruise. You could get 30-31 loaded with the D-6, but do you need all of that power? I ask, because on 95% of my runs, I never run my D-6's over 3,000 rpm's, which gives me a 28 kt cruise. I like having the bigger engines, but I honestly don't need them.

Just depends on if you mind spending the extra money. You might also want to consider that the engine room is tight with the D-6's, you'll need a small mechanic.

Comment

I have no personal experience with the D4 or D6, only with the KAMD300's. I would trade engine access over the 60 additional HP any day. It was a real PITA to work on the 6 cylinder Volvo's in my 28....not so bad for the filters, but you had to be a contortionist to get in front of them to service the impellars and belts, along with the genset. A 2 knot cruise advantage is not enough to be an equal trade-off, IMO.

Comment

D4 300 vs D6

The horsepower disparity between the two is nearly moot. The limiting factor on the 28 is the amount of wheel you can get under the boat. Performance between the two is very very close (approx 1 knot at cruise and less than .5 knot at wot). If you want a genset, D4 is the only Volvo option.

The horsepower vs displacement issue is not irrelevant but not nearly as siginifcant as it was in the days prior to common rail and full authority electronic engine control . . .

From my perspective and the last few customers that have pondered the same question is the D4 gets the edge: $$ for the very minimal performance increase is not justifiable (wheel limitation, weight savings of the D4 offsetting a good portion of the hp differential) -- the $$ could be put to better use for electronics, etc. . . . access both with and without the genset . . .

Just my .02 . . .
                Tres

http://www.virginiabeachboats.net
                http://www.specialtyproducts.net

Comment

Tres do you have performance sheets now for the D4-300 and D6-330?
                  I am surprised -- thought the difference would be a little bigger. The D6 would have to be running at only 90-95% load at WOT to produce such a close result. That means the D6 is getting limited out at WOT rpms by the EVC from being a little underpropped, while the D4-300 is producing full rated output.

Comment

The D4 has a compressor and the D6 doesn't. That will cost you about $3000 to replace when it goes bad.
                    1998 25' Carolina Classic w/ Volvo D6 310

Comment

i have D6-310's in my 2006 28' with 620 hours on them. i typically run at 2500 rpm's which is 25 knots burning 71/2-8 gals. per side. consumption going up a little with low sulfur fuel. D6 max torque is at 2000rpm, i believe the D4 is at 300-400 rpm higher. if you're going to run a lot of hours you're better off with the 6's. they'll last longer as they don't work as hard as the 4's. 6's also have less vibration if that's a concern to you. be glad to talk further if you want. Bill 6092900237

Comment

Originally posted by RUNKELDC View Post
                        The D4 has a compressor and the D6 doesn't. That will cost you about $3000 to replace when it goes bad.
                        there is no compresser on the inboard version of either engine
                        NIGHTHAWK
                        2001 CC 28
                        Yanmar 300's

Comment

Working...
                        X