Removing Duo prop propellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Duo prop propellers

Okay....time for some extra maintenance and I want to remove the props (time for the yearly prop pull). My outdrive is a DP-D1. I removed the cone and associated bolt and removed the outer prop just fine. Now I'm struggling to remove the large nut (that holds the forward prop) using the special Volvo tool.

My first question is...does this nut come off in the usual CCW direction?

My second question is...if it refuses to move can I apply some heat to it?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill H

This nut does come off in a counter clockwise direction. I have a DP-G drive on my boat but I checked the Volvo schematics for both drives and my drive has the same nut. This nut is difficult to get off. The propshaft and nut have special notches on them that prevent this nut from coming off if you loose your rear prop. It will be very hard to turn this nut for the first few turns. Then it will get easier. I wear leather work gloves and take a piece of 2X6 and wedge it between the prop and the drive to get as much leverage as possible when I remove this nut. Also make sure that the Volvo tool is fully engaged on the nut when applying maximum pressure. I dont think applying heat would help. When you re-install the props make sure that you tighten the bolt on the back prop very tight after you have tightened the cone. Be careful not to strip or break the bolt though. I think the manual recommends using a torque wrench and tightening to factory specs. I have lost a rear prop and cone before. Hope this helps!!

Comment

Thanks, Blackbeard. Can you explain what you mean in the way you use the 2x6? I'm having trouble visualizing what you are describing.

Bill

Comment

I use a 2x6 or 4x4 and wedge the blade from rotating while unbolting the nuts. Wedge against outdrive. All nuts / bolts on my duo prop are standard RH threads. Turn counter clockwise to remove. Be certain to add anti-seize when re-assembling.

Comment

Props

Hey Bill,
          Hurry up get those old props off. I'll be sending the first set to you next week via UPS. Did you find out what the switch was for??? Mine is for the spreader lights. Tom T

Comment

Hi Tom,
            Let me know how you want the payment (check or paypal)!

I won't see the boat until Christmas. I'll experiment with the switch then.

Bill

Comment

Working...
            X