overheat & engine turn up problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheat & engine turn up problem

I have a 1997 28' with kamd 42's I as having a problem when I throttle up, it won't go past 3100. Also the temperture runs over 200 and steams out the exhaust, when I pull it back all seems to be ok. I woundering if I have a bad injector, dumping fuel and heating up the eigine, is this possible? could I have a bad injection pump. Has anyone experianced this problem?

If your engine has over 1500 hours, I'd bet your injector pump is the culprit. A quick check on the injectors is to crack the injectors while the engine is idling & as long as there is a noticeable change in engine tone when you release the cylinder compression on each cylinder, you don't need to worry much more about that cylinder. If you crack a cylinder & there is no change in tone, that would be the suspect cylinder.......To close, if all 6 cylinders change tone when you relive the compression, check your injector pump next.

Stuart

Comment

stuart

thanks for the reply but it seems to be running great a all rps but won't get past 3100. was talking to a machanic and he said it may be my air filter being clogged and starving for air at high rpms thats my next check. I hope its that, simple fix. has anyone heard of that?

Comment

JV, anytime you have rpm problems in a diesel application, the first checks should be the simplest. In that regard, your mechanic is right. A clogged air filter is usually forecast by black smoke. Lack of turns is usually a clogged primary (you should be replacing this every 100 hours & use a 30 micron element) or secondary fuel filter. If the engine still won't turn up after replacing/inspecting these items, check your boost pressure (both turbo & compressor) & then the injectors. By the way, your engine should still turn up to 3800 even with out a functioning compressor, it'll just take some time & burn some black smoke to get there, a malfunctioning turbo will not allow your engine to turn up. I hope it's something simple, rebuilding the injector pump is both costly & time consuming.

Stuart

Comment

stuart

thanks for the info, i sure hope its not the pump, I need a break seems like something breaks every trip lately. may be its time to look newer but just seems like i am replacing my new parts for some old parts and will have to start over. all i want to do is fish and not worry every time out, ya know what i mean.

jv

Comment

I know exactly what you mean, JV. I had a KAD42 in my 25 & I just got tired of either working on the thing or having a mechanic work on it. I was considering selling the boat & buying a new 28 when something else went wrong on my 42 & when Mike Moore of Industrial Diesel stated he'd have to pull the engine to repair it, I replied, "pull the thing but I'm not putting it back in". At any rate, I sold my 42 to a rebuilder & put a new Yanmar in my 25, thereby killing my new boat funds. If you want to talk more about my experiences with the 42, feel free to phone me at (757)618-3597 during normal business hours. I also wrote a post titled REBIRTH OF MY BOAT a month or so ago on this board telling of my repowering experience.

Stuart

Comment

Stuart Wade

Thanks For The Help, Fixed The Problem, Believe It Or Not The Tach Was Bad And Reading 600 Rpm Off At Full Throttle. How We Found Out Was Reversing Electrical Harness, All The Problems Went To Other Motor (stupid) Seems The Temps Were Higher Because I Was Running The Motor At Full Rmps. Lucky I Didn't Burn It Out, After Knowing This Problems ALL Simptoms Relate.

Jv

Comment

John:

I didn't even think to suggest checking the gauge. Glad that was all it was.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                X