Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water ingestion problems really that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water ingestion problems really that bad?

I have read and heard of water ingestion problems on these boats (after i bought a 98, 28') and I am having second thoughts on even owning one.
    I called a local mechanic in Wilm. NC to get a price on some general maintenace issues (as I don't have the time) and installing a fresh water washout valve and he said he wants no part of working on CC boats. He gave me a 20 minute rundown on the phone as to why these boats are a lousy design and recommended I sell it. He stated that if you get over 200 hrs on a replaced engine you are lucky and said short of running the hell outta these boats you will be replacing engines.

Are these boats really that bad with water issues? I was surprised when a mechanic turned down work and said he just wants no parts of any CC boat as its too much liabilty for him.

Ozzy,

I understand this to be a problem for all the big block GM based gas engines of a mid 90's to early 00's vintage and has more to do with the engine's "large valve overlap" as opposed to anything to do with a particular brand of boat.
    (Although thru hull exhaust, inboards are supposedly more prone to problems.)

Read Mercruiser's Service bulletin.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/01/01_13.pdf
    Luke

Comment

Hmmm

How many CC28's has your mechanic worked on; with what engines and for how long?

What were the lousy design issues?

I had 2100 hr's on my 1st set of diesels; sold them running for 5K each and now have 880 on my 2nd set.

there are painful access issues with the CC28 and some of the design issues in older ones like mine have been corrected in the newer engine rooms, but "lousy design" is way over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by backman View Post
        How many CC28's has your mechanic worked on; with what engines and for how long?

What were the lousy design issues?

I had 2100 hr's on my 1st set of diesels; sold them running for 5K each and now have 880 on my 2nd set.

there are painful access issues with the CC28 and some of the design issues in older ones like mine have been corrected in the newer engine rooms, but "lousy design" is way over the top.
        I'm referring to gas engines.

The lousy design so I am told is with the exhaust system being level with the water and valve overlap. I am told that running these engines under 1000 rpm is the worst thing you can do. Problem is most people have to come a distance thru a no wake zone to dock the boat when done for the day and this is done at slow speed.

I just called a local mechanic that was referred to me and he told me he quit working on these boats because of the water issues and it makes me wonder the more I read. From what I hear the boat manuf. blames the engine manufacturer and the engine manufacturer blames the boat. We as the consumer are the ones that get screwed if there is a problem.

Comment

Who ?

Who is the mechanic and where does he work? I want to make sure that I stay as far away from them as possible!

Call Noel at Bell Hart Marine. He does all our work at Bradley Creek and is very honest and dependable. Highly recommend them for your classic.

Bill, you are just worring way too much about little details. Remember that your trip to the stream is probably the very first that that boat has ever made and it's a 98. Your post about using fuel previously, you are not used to the boat and probably ran it a little hard and had the tabs down, pushing water. Others here will chime in on how to run your boat and set the trim. Best advise is "RUN THE BOAT AND ENJOY IT! IF YOU WORRY OVER EVERY LITTLE DETAIL, SELL IT AND GO BACK TO SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN ENJOY".
          Last edited by capthorace; 05-30-2007, 05:16 PM.
          "Addison Leigh"
          1995 Carolina Classic 28'
          Wrightsville Beach, NC

Comment

Ozzy,
            Do yourself a favor and call Mac or Keith at the Factory. Or if you have time, go down and visit them!

Tom
            95' 28 CC

Comment

Ozzy, The issue is only with fuel injected motors, most after 1998, I just purchased my cc last year and went for a gas carb motor. Their are no issues with this motor. I called MAc about this and spoke to him in great detail about this problem. Their is a way to shut the engine down, after running it either at slow or high speeds. Mac told me to run the engine at 1500 to 2000 rpms one to two min after you stop and before shutting down. This is to make sure all water sitting in the manifolds is pushed out and not alowed to run back down into the engine after shutting off. I was told this is not a problem on carb motors, but I still do it just in case. Many boats I had looked at with fuel injected had many hrs on them if this was followed. I also think if you run the boat , troll and dont stop and start the engine too much, you will get alot of hrs out of it. They have switched to crusader engines now, because they have designed their manifolds in a way to stop this problem. Good luck, they are great boats. Harry

Comment

I just bought a freshwater 02 with gas engines and use on Lake Erie. It has volvos and didn't know about the issues until after the purchase. They claim it isn't a problem if the boat is kept in freshwater. ? There are 430 hours on the engines.

I have noticed that when running back to the marina and slowing down at the marina entrance I get a instantaneous smell of burnt oil. I only notice it right at the marina entrance and it last for just seconds. Any ideas? I checked the engine for low or spilled oil but it looks good. I don't notice anything when starting the engines.

Comment

Originally posted by capthorace View Post
                  Who is the mechanic and where does he work? I want to make sure that I stay as far away from them as possible!

Call Noel at Bell Hart Marine. He does all our work at Bradley Creek and is very honest and dependable. Highly recommend them for your classic.

Bill, you are just worring way too much about little details. Remember that your trip to the stream is probably the very first that that boat has ever made and it's a 98. Your post about using fuel previously, you are not used to the boat and probably ran it a little hard and had the tabs down, pushing water. Others here will chime in on how to run your boat and set the trim. Best advise is "RUN THE BOAT AND ENJOY IT! IF YOU WORRY OVER EVERY LITTLE DETAIL, SELL IT AND GO BACK TO SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN ENJOY".

Horace,

Maybe I am worrying about it. The mechanic I called was named Noel but not the same guy at BH. This guy works works behind creekside and someone told me to call him. Hell I just called him because I figured he was close buy and he could basically walk to the boat. He talked for 25 minutes and basically went on and on about water problems and I didn't even call him about that. It just got me thinking after his lecture on engine problems.

Comment

My .02 worth:

Six months ago I doubts about you and the boat. From what I have seen, I have changed my mind and I believe you will do fine. Just ignore what the opinions are from others, and do what you feel is best.
                    "Addison Leigh"
                    1995 Carolina Classic 28'
                    Wrightsville Beach, NC

Comment

This was not just a Carolina Classic problem and not limited to Volvo. It was a total GM problem. My buddy has a 1999 28 Albemarle it has had 7, I repeat 7 new motors all dead from water ingestion. These were all 350 EFI Mercury motors and the boat is a straight inboard.
                      After the last set of motors they installed the new exhaust baffles and he has had no problems.
                      Only EFI motors are affected. For those that don't know what valve overlap is, simply explained it is when the exhaust valve stays open for an instant when the piston is on the downward stroke. This is used to suck back a little exhaust gas and reburn it which is supposed to improve emmisions, great for cars, bad for boats.

This problem has been documented with multiple builders including
                      CC
                      Albemarle
                      Pursuit
                      Luhrs

I would reccomend having the exhaust upgrade installed and follow the shutdown procedure.
                      Also call Mac or Keith.
                      This has been a terrible problem for all involved and from converstions with Ketih and Mac , it has been PERSONALLY very troublely because these boats are there lives not just a commodity.

Just remember you have a battle wagon and motors are can be replaced.
                      1997 CC28

Brian

Comment

We currently have just over 400 hrs on our 98 CC25 with 7.4 Volvo. It received the most current exhaust configuration as soon as it was available. We have performed the 2 min shutdown procedure religiously, and the engine (knock on wood) is running great. No probs with ingestion what so ever.
                        1998 Carolina Classic 25 "Southern Class"

Comment

I have a 25CC with the 8.1 volvo,here recently had the water issue,on my port side,killed every piston.I am an automotive tech now thought it would be fairly simple,(LOL LOL).I am second owner of boat first engine according to volvo lasted 30min.(Great Engine).Of course volvo puts the shame on Carolina Classic design.Needless to say Keith @carolina says you caan BBBUUUYYYYY a kit to help stop this approx $570.00.Yeah there is a problem,its called $15,000.00 for a new motor.and no one gives a **** after the boat gets sold.With all the issues with this engine,were is the line for the class action suit to be filed. Thanks Volvo & Carolina Classic,from a truely happy CC owner.
                          Seal4life
                          25CC

Comment

Working...
                          X