Squeaky Compressor Belt On Kamd 300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaky Compressor Belt On Kamd 300

Just changed my belts on my Volvo KAMD 300 because of the belt squeaking when the compressor turns on coming out of the hole. This fixed the problem for a while. Went fishing this weekend and the new belt has started to squeak. The belt feels tight. The belt only squeaks when the compressor turns on. Should I try some belt dressing? Could the belt be to tight? Has any other KAMD 300 owners had this problem? Any suggestion will appreciated.

I've had this issue before also. If you only replaced the compressor belt, you may want to replace the circulation belt as well. Just because the squeaking happens when the compressor "kicks in" does not necessarily mean it is that specific belt. As you increase your RPM's, more pressure is placed on your belts. I have KAMD44P's and I'm assuming we both have the same # of belts (3). Also, if your belts are too tight or too loose, it can cause damage to your engine. You may have to readjust your "new" belt because when you start to break it in, the belt will stretch slightly, causing a squeaking noise (that's what my mechanic told me.) You may want to check with Volvo before you spray any belt dressing on your belts. I hope this helps ....
    Capt. Sak
    Armageddon
    '99 Carolina Classic 28

Twin Volvo Penta KAMD44P (260's)

Comment

Armageddon, thanks for your response. All three belts were replaced by my Volvo mechanic. I was going to tighten the belts again myself, but the tension seems to be correct. Just trying to figure out wether or not there might be an easy fix or whether I should call my mechanic back to the boat.

Thanks again

Comment

belts

Did you check tension with a torque wrench? Mine seemed fine but until they were tightened to spec they slipped. Also, I just replaced a supercharger clutch and that made a difference as well.

Barry
        2001 28\' 230 Volvo Diesels

Comment

I had the same problem last Summer. The problem turned out to be the compressor clutches....they squeak when worn out and sound like a belt slipping. I have KAMD 44p's....basically the same as you. I'll bet that is your problem.

Both compressor clutches changed and no more sqeaking.
          Bullish
          2002 28
          Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

By the way, my boat only had 300 hours when this problem started so (after much complaining by me) Volvo paid for two new clutches but not for the labor. I think they were about $300 each.

I now expect these compressor clutches to be a weak link.
            Bullish
            2002 28
            Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

The compressor clutches are a weak link. I had to replace mine on my 42 2 years ago & within 60 days the clutch let go again (thankfully it was under warranty). I seem to remember the clutches themselves are around $800 before labor. At any rate if the belts are too tight you'll damage the shaft bearings & you don't want to buy a new compressor (over $3000). I hope you can get this fixed without too much out of pocket expense.

Stuart

Comment

It could also be the idler wheels. I had the same problem on a KAMD44 and I too thought it was just a loose belt, so I'd tighten the belts in accordance with the proper torque (70 Nm as I recall), but the problem would soon return.

One fine day, coming home from sea, the compressor belt came apart and took out the other two belts with it. A strand of the compressor belt wound itself around the crankshaft and pushed the low pressure seal into the engine...oil everywhere...what a mess.

The compressor idler wheel had seized and caused the belt to burn apart.

Check those idler wheels...they could be the cause of your squeaking too.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for all responses. I have determined that it is in fact my compressor clutch. Has anyone ever replaced one? Is this difficult to replace? I have ordered a new clutch and am considering replacing it myself. In the Volvo schematics for the compressor it only shows one clutch. It does not look like it would be to difficult to replace. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Thanks for your post. I have the same motor and mine just started to squeek after replacing the the belts as well. Belts seem to be tight and were serviced by my dealer. The squeek only happens just above idle and quits once I get up on plane. I am going to have my clutch checked out by my dealer. Thanks again.

Comment

The compressor engages around 1400 rpms and shuts off on plane around 2800. If your squeaking is only during this period of time, good chance it is the clutch.

Another symptom of this problem is the cycling of the clutch right before plane. My boat would hesitate before reaching plane because the clutches were worn so bad that they would disengage too early before the boat reached plane.

Blackbeard, Please let me know the cost for the clutch and how you make out with the procedure. I plan to do mine myself the next time which I think will be soon enough. I don't think it took the mechanic an hour to change mine though...regardless of exact time, he wasn't at the boat too long.
                      Bullish
                      2002 28
                      Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

Bullish,

Just recived my new clutch. I plan on installing it this weekend. It does not look like a diffucult job I hope. My squeaking only occurs when the compressor is on, and the compressor does cycle on and off sometimes right before plane. The squeaking also occurs right when I crank my boat because the compressor turns on until the engine warms up to 100 degrees. Checked all my belts and they are fine, so I am hoping that the clutch is the problem. I purchased the compressor clutch (part # 3581724) from Marine Parts Express, their web site is www.marinepartsexpress.com. The cost was $311.57 and standard shipping is free on orders over $100.00. They also have shematics off all Volvo engines and parts so you can see how the part is installed and how everthing fits together. I will let you know how I make out after the work is complete.

Thanks for your response

Comment

clutch

You got a good deal on the clutch. I paid $379.00 last month from a Volvo dealer.
                          2001 28\' 230 Volvo Diesels

Comment

Working...
                          X