Jackshaft Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackshaft Maintenance

Looking for some help on what I should be doing on an annual basis to properly maintain the jackshafts in my '96 28 CC? I purchased my boat second hand and haven't found anything in the manuals I have re: how and what should be maintained?

Also, how concerned should I be with rust on the shaft? The port shaft, particularly the end that connects into the outdrive, has considerable rust compared to the starboard side. What would you guys recommend I do about it - lightly sand it away (although I'm concerned about messing up the balancing)? do these shafts eventually have to be replaced?

Ideas/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thx

You should keep the shafts painted. Just finished doing mine. If the shafts are starting to rust you should sand, prime and paint them. They should last for a long time if you keep them painted. This should not effect the balance of the shafts. The shafts should have some weights on them where they were blanced at the factory. As long as the weights stay in place you should not have to worry about the balance. If the shafts start to rust the weights will also start to rust and eventually come off. Out of balance shafts can cause many problems. I have talked to Mac several times about the jackshafts that they install in their boats. My weights rusted and came off and they helped me get my shafts re-balanced. Other than that there is no other maintenance that I know of on the shafts. If you call the factory they will answer any questions you have. There is a bearing where they connect to the engine that will eventually have to be replaced. Also make sure that the drives are properly maintained according to Volvos maintenance schedule or you will have trouble with them. I also recommend checking the transom shield bolts to make sure they are tight. Hope this helps!!

Comment

Just Putting Mine Back Together

I Don't Know What Is Recomened - I Am Going To Pull My Shafts Every Year And Check For Play In My Gimble Bearings And Make Sure They Turn Free - Same On The Engine Drive Side - Also Will Pop The Caps Off The Cv Joints And Put A Squirt Of Grease In Them And Rebalance Shafts- It May Knot Be Neccesary Every Year But Peace Of Mind On A Canyon Run Is Worth It-don't Forget To Mark The Shafts- If You Lose A Shift Cover On Your Outdrives I Would Be Sure To Check This -mine Doesn't Have Grease Fittings On The Engine Drive So I Have To Take The Screw Out And Grease With A Needle Adapter - Grease The Gimble Good After You Check It For Play-aquadrive Said To Use High Temp Grease In Cv Joints

Comment

Sounds like alot of unecessary work to me. Call the factory. Mac,Keith, or Mike will be glad to help you and make reconmmendations. 252-482-3699

Comment

Blackbeard....thx for the tips....makes sense....could you tell me what grit sandpaper and name of the primer/paint you used to do yours?

Speaking of the drives, the brackets don't look any better than the shaft, so I should probably so the same thing with those - sand/prime/paint?

Thx

Comment

I would suggest that if you can refinish the jackshaft without removing it you would be better off. It's possible that when removing it and reinstalling there could be a slight repositioning of the shaft in relation to the mounting hubs. although very slight it could result in minor off-centering. If you do remove it always mark the relation of the assembly to the hubs at each end.

I personally experienced some change in balance recently even though I did the above. The fit of the CV joints at each end to the drive hubs is pretty accurate but again I did experience a change.
            Advance, NC

Comment

I just repainted mine and found that using OSPHO on the rusted area helped to minimize the sanding. The OPHO oxidizes the rust and then you just brush off and paint. This may save you some time if you have a very rusted jack-shaft.

Comment

that is exactly what we did. thanks though and hope everybody heeds this advice as well.

Comment

I painted my shaft with automotive undercoating. Worked a lot better than paint and primer. Just spray it on like spray paint.
                  1998 25' Carolina Classic w/ Volvo D6 310

Comment

Working...
                  X