Considering a CC 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a CC 25

I recently discovered this forum and wanted to get some advice. I have been looking at the CC 25s for a while and came across a 2005 with a Volvo 8.1 straight inboard. What are the pros and cons compared to the other power options? I assume since the engine is fresh water cooled there is no concern regarding water ingestion. In addition due the 2005s still seem to have issues with wandering at idle speed?

Deep V Wander

Gatch,

Wander at low speeds can be resolved by putting the tabs full down.

I own a 2004 25' CC with Volvo diesel jackshaft.
    LRC
    2004 Carolina Classic, Volvo 300 KAD
    2004 Boston Whaler Montauk, 90 hp Merc

Comment

Water Ingestion

Stay away from any Volvo or Merc. FI gas inboard in this boat. Crusader is the only engine that has been free of ingestion problems. You can always repower with a crusader if you get a good deal on a used volvo or merc.
      2003 28 Carolina Classic Volvo 300 diesels

Comment

Originally posted by Gatch View Post
        I recently discovered this forum and wanted to get some advice. I have been looking at the CC 25s for a while and came across a 2005 with a Volvo 8.1 straight inboard. What are the pros and cons compared to the other power options? I assume since the engine is fresh water cooled there is no concern regarding water ingestion. In addition due the 2005s still seem to have issues with wandering at idle speed?
        Are you sure it's a volvo? I did'nt think Mac was using anything other than crusader for a gas powered rig on the late models. If it is a volvo, I would call the factory and talk to Mac and get the lowdown on any ingestion problems with this engine.

Other than that you can't go wrong. If they built the straight inboard I would have owned one long time ago.
        Life is to short for an ugly boat

sigpic
        2015 Enclosed Helm 35
        Tom

Comment

Cc25

Straight inboard CC25s will be Crusader powered and as such are excellent little battle ships!
          Tres

http://www.virginiabeachboats.net
          http://www.specialtyproducts.net

Comment

You guys are probably right. I did not find the broker to be very informed. It is my understanding that water ingestion is still possible with the Crusader but less likely. In addition, someone had mentioned that bow thrusters might be helpful. I wasn't aware that they were available for the CC 25.

Comment

Crusader

Water ingestion is not an issue with the Crusader -- They cooling side of the motor is completely different then Volvo's (i.e. how and where the raw water enters the mixing elbow/riser).

Yes, a bow thruster is an option on the newer 25s, but what my friends/customers tell me is that it is great the first few times you run the boat, but after you become comfortable with how the boat reacts the $$ spent on the bow thruster could have been spent for fuel, tackle etc . . . .

Have fun on the boat hunt
              Tres

http://www.virginiabeachboats.net
              http://www.specialtyproducts.net

Comment

Low speed 'wander' is a common problem to deep v's w/single IO's, but you shouldn't have that issue with a straight inboard. Forget the bow thrusters. Your inboard will want to back to port, but you'll get used to shifting into forward to straighten the boat out when backing into a slip. The 25 is a great boat - it's a big boat in a small body. If it just had a big fish box!

Comment

25a

Can't think of any reason would need bow thruster.. maybe with the inboards, but I have outdrive and unless the wind is really blowing... can't see a need. did change throttle from standard to split configeration (sp?) like an inboard. Gives me all the control I need I slow speeds for docking.
                  johnd

Comment

Working...
                  X