Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 25

Ok Classic Owners,
    I need a few opinions. I currently have a 232 Grady Gulf Stream and I am making about 16 runs a year to the NE canyons, mostly from Ocean City Md. I got over 1200 hours on the Yamaha, and have decide to move on up. I want to keep a trailerable boat. I really like the look of the Carolina Classic 25, and I know it has a great reputation. I would like to hear some pros and cons? I am looking at the 2007 with a diesel .....
    Ken Lahr
    Reel Draggin' Tackle
    www.reeldraggintackle.com

Cc 25

Ken,

I own a 2004 CC with the Volvo KAD 300 Diesel Jackshaft. I don't trailer but keep mine at my dock on a lift.

I imagine the boat you're looking at is the Diesel inboard, no jackshaft outdrive.

I love my boat. It's used on the Chesapeake Bay and will take most anything thrown at it. The diesel is very fuel efficient as you can see by the performance figures attachment. The true inboard may be slightly less efficient than the duoprop.

One word of caution. I've never trailered this hull but lot's of folks do. It's heavy, 8500 lbs. dry. That means 9500-10,000 lbs with fuel and gear. Make sure you get the right vehicle and trailer to pull it up the ramp. That'll determine how often you'll use it.

LRC
    Attached Files
    LRC
    2004 Carolina Classic, Volvo 300 KAD
    2004 Boston Whaler Montauk, 90 hp Merc

Comment

Ken,

We dock and run the canyons from OCFC in our 28.

Feel reel safe in these boats and can't praise enough about how this company stands behind their product.
      Sweet-E-Motion
      28 Carolina Classic
      OCFC, MD.

Comment

25'

I have 05' CC 25 Straight Inboard Diesel. I run it to Toms and Hudson Canyon all season long. The boat is great. It runs straight, holds it course, and best of all it doesn't beat on you. The Diesels are loud (at the helm) on these boats, however, it may be better with the new commonrail engines. Its pretty simple to reduce the engine noise coming from the hatches by installing additional weatherstripping.

I typically cruise to the canyons at 20 knots and average 2.5~3.0 nmpg.

Trolling: Wake breaks cleanly behind the boat. I have two very distinct clear paths behind the transom for my flatlines and can fish them very close.

The boat can turn in very close quarters (for a single inboard)

Backing Down: boat has a tendency to pull to port (obvisiouly), but its not a big deal, you just need to learn how to compensate for it by adjusting the position of the bow before you back down. You can get a bow thruster, but I dont like em'

The Pattern: Its a cinch to troll 7 rods on this boat. Anyone do more??? I'm thinking its easy enough to do 9, not sure I could handle anymore.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good Luck!
        2005 CC 25' Straight Inboard

Catch Fish!

Comment

Originally posted by hooker View Post

The Pattern: Its a cinch to troll 7 rods on this boat. Anyone do more??? I'm thinking its easy enough to do 9, not sure I could handle anymore.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good Luck!
          Let CClassic28 get a hold of that boat. He will figgure out how to troll at least 13 lines.
          Life is to short for an ugly boat

sigpic
          2015 Enclosed Helm 35
          Tom

Comment

Thanks for the input

Thanks guys for the input. I am on the fence, leaning to the 25 cc, with a diesel. I have plenty of truck. Anything (other boats) with the offshore capability we are considering start getting a little wide in the beam. I am already trailering a 9'3" beam Grady... I was looking at boats with twins. However, I am not uncomfortable with going the distance on a single, been doing it for a few years. So, this baby is about 11.5k wet, and I can expect about a 20Kt run out and a little faster on the way back. Not bad; I currently run 20-23 out and 26 to 28 back, but burn a bunch more gas doing it.
            -
            How about transducers? Any problem with through hulls?

Thanks.
            Ken
            Ken Lahr
            Reel Draggin' Tackle

Comment

Ken,

I have A transom mount transducer on my inboard and have no problems with it at all. Does anyone have a thru hull? When I bought the boat Mac said not to do a thru hull transducer (too much of a pain to install) and that transom mounts will work flawlessly with the inboard (which it does).

Trolling 13 rods on a 25'. That I have to see!!
              2005 CC 25' Straight Inboard

Catch Fish!

Comment

I have trolled 15 rods when having 5 people on my 19ft sea swirl 18 rods with 6 people on board the new 25cc will be no problem. 4 riggers, 6 dipsey,8 out on the boards. Great lakes salmon limit 3 rod per person.Not many tangle but when you get one they are nasty! Rick H

Comment

Speed depends on engine and configurations. The 315 Yanmar or the Volvo 300 jackshaft will get you a cruise at 26-28 knots as long as the seas allow, not sure on the straight inboards. I don't find either of these power plants any louder than the gas motors I have fished on, in fact the Volvo might even be quieter.

I have a 1kw Furuno thru hull and trailer on a bunk set up with no problems. The Furuno marks like a champ no matter how fast I am running.

About the only drawback comparing the Grady and Carolina is probably fish box. I carry a 270 qt Icey Tech when heading offshore and a 6 foot tuna bag just in case we get carried away.

My normal offshore troll is 8 rods, but I have pulled 12 on slow days. Normal is 2 flats, 4 on the riggers, a short shotgun and a long shot gun. Slow days I add a 3rd flat, a 3rd down the center and two off the sides just straight off the rod tips.

Comment

Graceland,
                    Are you still running for Tuna outa Va?
                    Ken
                    Ken Lahr
                    Reel Draggin' Tackle

Comment

25 re thru hull and thoughts

Have thru hull. Works great.
                      My 25 is gas with duoprop. 32-3400 rpm with 3 guys, ice, full fuel, water, loaded with tackle etc runs 21-23Kts.
                      Troll all day between 5.5-7kts. Great wake for trolling, clean and even. Always run at least one line just off transom - except in really snotty water.

The hull will take more abuse than you want to. Single handed from Walkers to Florida in 4-6ft (bad weather forcast). I was sore the next day, the boat was fine.

the cushions should be thicker if you plan to sleep on her much (or get space foam and make an overlay).

Needs a fish box - not just the bait well.

The overhead electronics box.. if you are tall, well you will discover it!

I keep on trailer. Use older 2500 4x4 to pull. Need the 4x4 on low tides and steep ramps. She is heavy and you will know you have something behind you.

wot one person 1/2 fuel hits 40mph.. but who cares.

and whenever I've had a question or needed anything, call CC and they will help you with a smile. johnd

Comment

Working...
                      X