CC 35 - sea water filling up my fish boxes and melting ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CC 35 - sea water filling up my fish boxes and melting ice

Thanks for any help on this issue, purchased boat about a year ago and never noticed this until the last few times out fishing. Spend 50 bucks on ice and by 10 am raw water has backed up into boxes melting all the ice. Is this a sign that the macerator pumps may not be functioning correctly or is water backing up through the little hole around rim of fishbox?

2 thing come to mind.
    Check that the drain is working. They do get plugged. Also make sure the thru hull has the flapper to help keep water from backing up.
    Make sure that the lid gasket is good. Even if there is a little gap deck water will go into the box. I think this is the most likely cause
    Life is to short for an ugly boat

sigpic
    2015 Enclosed Helm 35
    Tom

Comment

I put expansion plugs in mine. Fixed that quick.
      Ethan D.
      "Fissues 2" 2008 CC28
      D6-330's Ex:RedTail
      Marblehead, MA

Comment

I had water backing up thru the macerators on my 28 but those thru hulls were close to the water line when full of fuel and ice and guys. I haven't fully loaded out my 35 yet but cant imagine it will get close to the thru hull drains when loaded. I'd suspect you are getting water washing down from the deck and your drain holes around the lid channel are clogged.
        Jim B.
        FLY'N FISH 35 Classic
        Va. Beach

Comment

Backing down to fast!

Comment

I eliminated this problem by putting plugs in the boxes and gaskets on the lids. Water does come back through the macerator pumps, especially with the deep v....everytime we come off plane, water pushes up hard against the transom.
            Bullish
            2002 28
            Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

The outlet for the macerator pumps is well above the water...so your pumps/plumbing is certainly not the issue....the water is coming in thru your scuppers over the gunnels..or from when you wash down the deck...So make sure the gasket around the fish box lid is sealing properly....dust the gasket with comet or ajax and close the lid slowly...the powder that doesn't get disturbed shows where there is not a good seal. then close the lid again and step on the lid..and see what powder gets disturbed....final check is a bead of soft scrub. I had to put a smaller gasket on the bow side of my box to get the stern to seal properly...
              Real Men do it Standing up

Comment

What kind of sealant stripping do you guys use , water is leaking into my fish boxes
                2004 28 VOLVO 300 DIESELS

Comment

just had this problem its the drains if the rubber flaps are not doing there job the water backs up into the fish boxes or of the drain is clogged any water that comes through the scuppers ends up in the fish boxes change the rubber flaps and make sure there in nothing blocking the drain hose

Comment

I had the same issue and in my case it was the duck valves in the marcerator pump. They dry out over time and allow water to back up through the pump into the fish well. The hoses on the pump need to be removed and the outlets unscrewed to get to the duck valves. Make sure to install the duck valves in the correct direction. Also make sure the upper deck drains are clear. If they are it is unlikely that water will get into fish wells from the deck.
                    Last edited by Nantucket; 09-29-2020, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X