Announcement

Collapse

Forum Fund Raiser Status

Hi All,
I appreciate that a number of folks have asked about contributing to a forum fundraiser to defer the licensing and operating costs. I will be posting something in a month or two with options for contributing. I took care of all the initial costs of out pocket for now to ensure we are covered in the transition. More to follow in the New Year.
thanks
Steve
See more
See less

CC28 260 vs 300 HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CC28 260 vs 300 HP

Hi, I just sold my boat and am looking at moving up to a Carolina Classic 28. I was curious what the performance differences were between the boats with 260 vs. 300 Hp diesels?? What are the pros and cons of these engines?
    Thanks for the info..

05 28cc with tower genny and volvo 260 D4's. I would go for the D6 310's and take the power. Fully loaded I barely can hit 30 knots in the bay. I do not think that you can squeeze the genny in there comfortably with the D6 310's but I may be wrong. I think they are soon to come out with the D4 block and 310 Hp but am not sure when.
    Code Blue

Comment

i think these hulls need power to run . i have 315 yanmars now and very happy..i had 250 cumm. and the boat just needed a little more kick...Charlie

Comment

I have 2002 KAMD 44's 260 horsepower with a tower and no genny. I had the option to buy a 2003 at the time with no tower, no genny , but with the KAMD 300's.

I talked to Mac at the time with regards to the difference in performance he said that it should be about 3 knots. I agree with bite me. Take the extra power. They are heavy boats.
        Bullish
        2002 28
        Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

D4-260's

I get an honest 25 knots fully canyon loaded ( 3 people, equipment, 250 gallons of ice, full tank and 40 gallons in the bladder) running at 87 throttle - 3050 RPM. I burn 20 GPH at that setting and speed. Coming home I make 26 and change at the same setting.

I hit 33+ knots at WOT/3600 RPM with a full fuel tank, 2 people on board (no ice or extra fuel).

I can cruise at 27-28 knots at Volvo maximum cruise of 3150 RPM/90% throttle.

There is a ton of room in front of the engines for maintenance; or a generator. I have the old style engine room where space and access are more of a premium.

I disagree the boat needs HP to run; I agree it needs mid range torque to run.

Whe I repowered I looked at the Yanmar 315's (285-300 HP depending on who you listen to), KAMD-300's ( 285 HP) D4-260's or D6-315's.

From my perspective coming from Volvo KAMD42's D4-260's was the most HP I could get without completely refitting the boat for either Yanmar or D6's.

If I were buying new I would go common rail and at least 300 HP; Yamar's are great but as I understand it they will not past Tier II emissions and will be replaced shortly by a new Yanmar variant. the Cummins 330B is another option; but as with the D6; size is an issue.

Do not underestimate the requirement for a 200 pound mechanic to be able to service the front of the engines!

Bottom line - there is no right answer - more power == greater fuel consumption and less access.

Comment

What is the fuel burn at cruise with the bigger engines?

Comment

engines on 28

I have a 2005 28 with the twin Yanmar 315 setup. I cruise at 26 knots at 3100 rpm and top out at 34 knots. At cruising speed I have figured I burn 20 gallons an hour. I have been very happy with the engines.

Comment

Working...
              X