Announcement

Collapse

Forum Fund Raiser Status

Hi All,
I appreciate that a number of folks have asked about contributing to a forum fundraiser to defer the licensing and operating costs. I will be posting something in a month or two with options for contributing. I took care of all the initial costs of out pocket for now to ensure we are covered in the transition. More to follow in the New Year.
thanks
Steve
See more
See less

Range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range?

i have yet to run my 2002 28 cc for a long distance ..what kind of canyon range shoukld i expect with the 250 cummins and the "220" gallon tank??? Anyone who has similar motors in the northeast could tell me how far they have gone.....Ran the boat a few times allready close to home in differnt conditions and i love it thanks for the help

oops forgot to log in

im the one who just asked the question

Comment

Range?

I have a 28 w/250's , tower, genny... My typical canyon run (day trip) Has me running from my dock 90nm, trolling 6-8 hrs and return trip 90nm. My fuel burn is anywhere between 150-165 gallons. My overnight trips I burn between 175-190 gallons. The boat has the range but will become marginal if you run into foul weather. Some people posting here carry a small bladder for additional capacity.

I have managed to burn 202 gallons from the tank without running out of fuel.

Chris
      "Pelagic" 2006 Classic 32

Comment

Beat me - my record is 198

BTW - the tank says "208 gallons" on it so don't go estimating based on 220!

Mac has said that you can get 220 in it!

I agree w. Chris - the boat has the range; but you have to be cognizant of your burn per hour and be prepared to alter plans when conditions get bad. I carry a 33 gallon Nauta bladder as my safety margin.

Your going to burn 18-20 GPH regardless of whether your going 18 or 25 knots and the 1 nmile/gallon burn in rough seas wipes out canyon range in a hurry.

This summer I got caught near Veaches with a northeast 20 blow up above me; 94 nmiles from the dock, making 18 knots; floscan's saying I had less than 120 gallons and was burning ~18 GPH. I didn't like the math I did in my head; pissed off one of my crew, but throttled back to 6 knots and trolled homewards for 3 hours to get the fuel equation more in my favor and also let the blow die out. Caught a decent yellowfin and a bunch of rat bluefin along the way so it wasn't all bad!

That is always an option if fuel is low. Takes a while, but 2 nmiles+/gallon at troll can save your butt if you get low on fuel.

Comment

Bladder

Larry,

Are you planning to hold on to your bladder now that you've got some speed and economy? If you are looking to dump it let me know as I would not mind having some extra fuel on board.

Thanks,

Chris
          "Pelagic" 2006 Classic 32

Comment

I'm keeping it!

even if my economy improves I will use to to be able to get to Hydro.

I'm also going to carry it for at least a couple trips and make sure I really do have the range.

Carlton put a Reverso Oil drain system under my starboard fishbox for oil changes. It has 3 valves of which only 2 are being used. I'm serioulsy considering disconnecting and removing that fishbox for the ride out and putting the bladder down in the empty space.

I can then use the Reverso pump system as a transfer pump to move the fuel from the bladder to the tank. That removes 2 weak points in thre system by getting the bladder and weight down low to keep the center of gravity down and removes the need for an external pump with a 2 wire plug connection.

I should be able to secure it on the outboard side by roping it trhought the exhaust partition cutouts and will drill a couple padeyes into the underside of the deck to secure it on the inboard side. I'll put a piece of wood over the strut bolts to keep them from cutting the bladder and should have a much simpler system as a result.

i'll probably get a couple ounces of oil into the fuel but 8 oz. of oil in 180 gallons isn't going to hurt anything.

Comment

Thanks for the info im only gonna do the tails and the dip for now dont want to push it in the first year...... might use u guys for a few more questions thank a lot

Comment

oops forgot to log in again......

Comment

Working...
                X