Airmar P66 life expectancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airmar P66 life expectancy

My transom mountedP66 is 10 years old and as of last fall was functioning as expected.

Is there a life expectancy to transducers? Do they fail or degrade over time?

The paddlewheel is long since gone and the temp. has been 20 degrees low for 3-4 years now.

Do I proactively replace it while the boat is on the hard or leave well enough alone?

What sounder are you using to drive it? Is this the only unit you have on board?

Comment

Larry, I replaced mine last year only because the Temp function was not working.
      Nick 2003 CC28 KAMD300
      "PUMPKIN"

Comment

old Furuno

The CRT version of the FV-585 - 10 years old but gives this type of shot. I hate messing w. things that work; but also do not want to pull the boat in May to replace it....
        Attached Files

Comment

Larry,

When purchasing my equipment last year I had a discussion with the Furuno rep. He did state thate transducers, over time to degrade. He felt that a good # to go by was 10 years (sorry) for replacement to bring your bottom machine back to spec.

Chris
          "Pelagic" 2006 Classic 32

Comment

so, then what do I replace with?

I assume the FV-585's expectancy is 10 years also as is the rest of my 10 year old electronics.

Do I go

1. w/ transom mount which has been perfect for 10 years in terms of picture
            2. another 600watt P66 or do I upgrade to a 1K watt transom mount in anticipation of a new sounder at some point?

Its a scary thing that I like and fit this boat so well I am already thinking in terms of my next re-engining in 3 years

Comment

Had a Furuno rep tell me that 10 years was the life expectancy for all small boat radars too. I would bet there are alot of lobstermen that would dispute that. Since you are on the hard now, is it possible to consider adding a new transducer now and letting the FV-585 ride for a while? You can always grab a new sounder and pop it in between trips where the transducer will cause you a haul unless your mounting bracket is 100% the same. That said, if you do nothing I suspect another year is not going to change your picture one bit.
              NIGHTHAWK
              2001 CC 28
              Yanmar 300's

Comment

If you have been satisfied with the performance, save your dough and just get another P66. It has the advantage of a wide beam and is pretty cheap. The life of ceramic elements iis impossible to predict because it depends on whether your sounder subjected it o transient power pulses, etc. The cables also degrade which will affect signal quality. Given that a P66 costs less than a haulout at "Mac Tiffany's", may as well just hang another and be done.

When Airmar comes out with a wide beam in-hull 1kW, then you can fork over the dough.

Comment

kind of what I am thinking

Its located and faired correctly; reads bottom and bait at 25 knots, why mess with a good thing. Snap the old one out of the mount, drop a new one in place and ugh, pull the wire using the old wire as a lead. That's going to be the worse part of the job.

Its been a long time - do transducer cable connectors still require a wiring diagram and soldering each lead or have they entered the 21st century of plug and play?

Comment

Plug and Play on the new ones. Mine old cable was tie wrapped in place a dozen times, so no simple pull. It is not a hard job.
                    Nick 2003 CC28 KAMD300
                    "PUMPKIN"

Comment

The key is how big the hole is now for the cable penetration? The older, solder in place jobs had a benefit in this area where wire diameter holes were all that was required. With a factory molded plug the holes can get awful large......
                      NIGHTHAWK
                      2001 CC 28
                      Yanmar 300's

Comment

don't know how long transducer 'works'. I upgraded my old Fureno. The challange was newer units have different wiring. Bought for $15 a simple upgrade cable allowing me to use new F unit with old wiring. Catelog company in NJ I think. I can find details if you need. johnd

Comment

Working...
                        X