trim tab hose clamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trim tab hose clamp?

Its been 3 years since the last time i replaced the hose and no surprise; one was leaking this fall. I found the leak, again - no surprise at the edge of the rusted clamp that holds the hose on the tab's piston.

I have spare hose from the last go-around but no clamps. Any reason why I can't use a 1/2" hose clamp instead/ That will allow me to back it off and replace it annually as opposed to waiting for it to rust out and cut into the hose.

Larry- I replaced one side with SS clamp, no issues after a year. Planning on doing the other before launch. Just be careful not to tighten too much, it would be possible to break the barb.
    NIGHTHAWK
    2001 CC 28
    Yanmar 300's

Comment

next question

swapped out the hose today/no issues w/ the clamp. REfilled the reservoir after the hose was on.

The boat is on the hard, unplugged, battery state is questionable.

When I went test the tabs; the motor whined and groaned; Dytek temp gauge on the dash went bonkers which is a sign to me of a voltage drain. Neither tab budged; either up or down.

There were no leaks.

I'm happy to push this off a month till the boat gets recharged fully and test again at that point - other than hose leaks, can anything go wrong w/ the tab system or motor that I should look at before I splash in 6 weeks?

Comment

The tab system is self bleeding and may take several cycles to get to the point to re-establish the oil level. One thing I have learned with marine hydraullics is that they hate the cold. I would suggest getting past this freezing weather before trying again. Then with a fresh battery/shore power cycle them a few times and refill to level. If you can find a 50 degree weekend I'm sure this will work out for you.
        NIGHTHAWK
        2001 CC 28
        Yanmar 300's

Comment

you mean ATF isn't supposed to flow like honey ?

duh - stupid me; the fluid in the hose was so cold soaked that when I took the reservoir end of the hose off I was able to turn it upwards and only spilled a few stringy drips.

Last time I did this in mid summer it was a mess!

I suppose i can wait a few weeks till it warms up and test then.

Comment

Working...
          X