32 CC vs 32 Albemarle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32 CC vs 32 Albemarle

I'm looking used... is the CC worth an additional $50K? I'm looking at the 32 Albes with the 370 or 440 Yanmars and I like the speed / economy. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Classic is more boat

Classic is a much heavier boat. Although, it is two feet wider...so I won't say it has a better ride, but different.

Used classic is going to come with electronic diesels as opposed to mechanicals.

Classic is going to hold its value better because they are still building that model, unlike Albemarle which is no longer building the 32.

You are going to have a lot more boat in the Classic, but it is going to cost you a bit more.

32 Albemarle is good boat, I guess it depends on how big a boat you want and need.

Comment

I would agree with Hey Doc on all issues except a resale advantage to the CC. The 32 Albemarle was perhaps their best riding boat and most offshore folks know that so it will hold it's value pretty darn good even though it has been replaced in the line-up. Although the 32 CC used does not have a lot of numbers yet it is somewhat surprising that the resale asking prices are not holding as well as I would have expected. If you price a brand new CC32 and add nice electronics then compare to 2005/2006 used asking prices I think you will find the CC depreciating at a very similar rate to the Albemarle, perhaps faster except maybe for Albemarle 32's with the now infamous Cat 3116 power that seem to be poison on the market no matter what boat they are in including used Cabos.

The weight difference and increased beam is significant making the CC more expensive to operate even with the advantage of electronic engines.

No doubt the CC is more boat and electronic engines surely sweeten the advantage but the 32 Albemarle is a very nice boat and a great ride.
      NIGHTHAWK
      2001 CC 28
      Yanmar 300's

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I like the fuel efficiency of the 32 Albe . One other boat to throw into the mix is the 34 Gamefisherman. Any thoughts on this one... obviously it is older and has those 3116 Cats with close to 3K hours, but wow is it a head turner. Anyone who has been on one of the 34 Gamefishermans care to comment?

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/t...153300&start=1

Comment

Gamerfisher

Gamefisher is a custom boat that usually comes with an extremely high price tag. I don't think it will ride as good as the Albe or the CC. It lacks both the wieght and deep v designed bottom. It has more of a semi v design, which is flatter towards the stern of the boat. But, I guess if you do a lot of drifting it may be a bit more stable than the other boats.

Personally, I would stay away from anything that says CAT 3116. There were all kinds of alloy problems with blocks used on the 3116. I would also stay away from it because it has 3,000 hours. You might as well figure that you will have to repower the boat with new engines. With the problems associated with the 3116, you would likely be wasting your money to try a rebuild.

Other thoughts, you may want to research the 32 albemarle a bit. I have heard that when the hull was redesigned in the late 90's, the air intakes were not made large enough for the bigger engines, such as the 3126 @ 350 horsepower. I don't know how accurate this is, but definately worth checking into.

I also personally talked with Ed Bailey several years ago about the 32 albe with the 440s. Ed was the head of Coral Bay Marine, which was one of the exclusive albemarle dealers in NC at the time and also the same dealer that sold the 32 with 440s. He was not all the positive on that set up from what I can recall. I don't know if the they had air intake issues with the 440 also, because of the design, but he did not sound real enthusiastic about that set up. I also think there were some issues with the transmissions coupled to the 440 during the 2002 to 2003 time period. I remember my yanmar dealer talking about it once when they were working on my first classic.

Another thing that would concern me, is that the 32 with the 440's has been on the market for sometime. As long as I can remember, which is several years. There has to be some reason that boat has not sold...it is the one and only 32 albemarle that has the 440s, which you would think would make it more appealing to most buyers. I don't know, but I would definately do some homework to see why the boat has not sold in the last several years.

Comment

My partner and I just returned from the Miami boat show. While there we had the opportunity to compare the CC, Albermarle and some other custom boats. You can see such a dramatic difference in hull design. Comparing the different boats you notice that even some of the custom boats built in North Carolina still do not have the hull flare of a CC. We feel the flare in the hull design was a selling point for us. We too looked at the 32 Albermarle before we purchased our CC and we couldn't be happier with our choice.
            Last edited by usrower; 02-17-2008, 06:42 PM.
            2003 28 Carolina Classic
            Twin 300 Volvo's

Comment

Hey Doc makes a good point regarding the 440 Yanmar in the 32 Albemarle. Another Albie owner told me there were only two boats ever made with those engines. Lot's of 3116 and 3126 Cats (beware) and a decent number of 370 Yanmar boats. With regard to gear set, doesn't that boat have a two speed transmission? I know that several did and have heard mixed reviews regarding reliability.
              NIGHTHAWK
              2001 CC 28
              Yanmar 300's

Comment

Thanks for all of the comments. I am definitely going to research that piece with the engines.

Regarding the hull flare of the CC vs the Albe... I like the aesthetics of the CC... but is there a noticeable difference in that it is indeed a drier ride?

Thanks again for all of the help.

Daniel

Comment

IMO sort of strange to paint a boat, then add name/graphics, when the boat is for sale. Good looking boat, but there must be some reason why it has not sold yet.

CC vs. Albe-
                  I feel that the CC has a much better shape of the hull compared to the Albe.
                  TOPAZ '24

Comment

Not ever being on an Albermarle, I can't say how dry they are but I can atest to how dry the Carolina Classic is. I've taken this boat in some rough seas and felt safe and dry.
                    2003 28 Carolina Classic
                    Twin 300 Volvo's

Comment

Thanks for the comment. I was on the Albe today and it was a great dry ride... very impressed. The Gamefisherman is for sale, but not desperately, I think that is why he put the name back on... he is planning on keeping it if it doesn't sell.

Comment

Just closed on the 03' 32 Albe w/ 440 Yanmars. I am excited to say the least. I guess that means that I am exiled from this site . Hope not, as there seems to be a much more fluid exchange of ideas on this site compared the the Albe.

I am picking the new boat up in Beaufort on Saturday AM and bringing her back to Charleston w/ my partner.

Thanks for all of the great input and help from this site. See ya'll on the water.

Comment

Congrats!
                          2000 28 w/44 volvos traded...
                          2005 32 w/440 Yanmars Traded....
                          2012 World Cat 320EC w/ Yamaha 4.2l F300's

Comment

Originally posted by Carla Dee View Post
                            I guess that means that I am exiled from this site . Hope not, as there seems to be a much more fluid exchange of ideas on this site compared the the Albe.

Not at all.Come here anytime and congrats on the boat. How bout some pics.
                            Life is to short for an ugly boat

sigpic
                            2015 Enclosed Helm 35
                            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Carla Dee View Post
                              Just closed on the 03' 32 Albe w/ 440 Yanmars. I am excited to say the least. I guess that means that I am exiled from this site . Hope not, as there seems to be a much more fluid exchange of ideas on this site compared the the Albe.

I am picking the new boat up in Beaufort on Saturday AM and bringing her back to Charleston w/ my partner.

Thanks for all of the great input and help from this site. See ya'll on the water.

I just noticed your boat on yachtworld. Very nice, Congratulation!
                              Nick 2003 CC28 KAMD300
                              "PUMPKIN"

Comment

Working...
                              X