Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning on Repowering a 28’ Carolina Classic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning on Repowering a 28’ Carolina Classic.

Planning on Repowering a 28’ Carolina Classic, Straight Inboards.
    There are no commercially rated engines which fit this engine room.

I’ve chosen the Volvo D-4 300 HP. I think the top of the torque curve is at 2450 RPM, putting out approx 220 HP. This should cruise the boat in average conditions around 24 kts. (No tower).
    My feeling is that although this is a low displacement engine (3.7) installed a heavy boat. Run the engines at top of the torque curve so I don’t push the engines to hard. Hopeful to achieve minimum of 2000 hrs on this engines.
    Looking for the opinions.
    Thank You in Advance

Originally posted by labytheshore View Post
    Planning on Repowering a 28’ Carolina Classic, Straight Inboards.
    There are no commercially rated engines which fit this engine room.
    Actually the Volvo D6-310 (not available as of 200 and the D6-330 (new model) are both R4 light duty commercial rated/ up to 800 hours per year. The factory has offerred the D6-310 for several years and for 2008 offers the D6-330 so they definitely fit the engine compartment (if you don't have a generator). The D6 is supposed to be good for 5000 hours minimum before overhaul in normal service.

The D4-300 is an R5 pleasure duty rated motor. If you are going to underprop and run at lower rpms, all you are doing is derating the engine so that it does not produce 300 hp at WOT. You may as well save some money in that case and get a D4-260. Or if you really want a commercial rating, get a D4-225 which is R4 rated.

There are several boats on the water now with the D4-300 and the reviews seem very positive in terms of performance.
    Bluefin 32
    Last edited by Bluefin 32; 01-27-2008, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Your prop size limited

All of the D-series are going to be limited to an 18 or 19" prop depending on age/engine room size. 18 X26 is going to take 2950-3050 RPM's for 24-25 knots no matter how many HP you throw at it.

I don't think your going to get 24 knots at 2500 RPM no matter how much HP you throw at it.

On age - my D4's have 1280 hr's on them and so far, so good.

Comment

The D-6 is a $26,000.00 option. A liitle to much money for an older boat.

The way I read the curves from Volvo:
        The D-4 260 Hp devolps peak torque @ 2450RPM at about 210 HP.
        The D-4 300 HP devolps peak torque @ 2450 RPM at about 230 HP.

The boat will have prop pockets installed, therfore will be able to swing bigger wheels.

My hope was not to push the engine to hard, yielding long life.

Comment

Working...
        X