Oil Pan Heaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pan Heaters

I just ordered a set of Wolverine oil pan heaters. Was wondering if anyone has installed any and if there were any problems with the installation. I imagine the only difficulty is prepping the underside of the oil pan for the heating element. I can not remember what wattage I ordered, either 250 or 500. Fortunately my marina does not bill for electricity. I am considering leaving them plugged in year round. Any one have any advice on whether or not that is a good idea? I am also considering installing a closed crankcase vent system. Any advice on that subject would also be appreciated. Thanks
    Jim B.
    FLY'N FISH 35 Classic
    Va. Beach

Bought mine from Tres at Virginia Beach Boats. Put them on in December. So far so good. I put them on the side of the oil pan. It was much easier to install. I trip the reset on the AC outlet when the weather is warm so they are only on when needed. I'll just unplug them this spring.

Comment

Heaters

Left mine on 24x7x365 no problems at all (6B330s). Call Scott at VB Boats, he has them in stock and you can save some freight . . . 962.8710.
      Tres

http://www.virginiabeachboats.net
      http://www.specialtyproducts.net

Comment

Prep - do the best you can

I got down under the oil pans with a hand held bufffer/orbital sander and had at it w/ whatever grit the Wolverine recommended. I got most of the paint off in a few minutes; was not super scientific about it, but with the advesive and selant bead - its not coming off any time soon!

I might be missing a few watt's of heat transfer, but the entire block is warm w/in 16 hr's of plug in and the engine room is toasty after 36.

The hardest part for me was running a 120VAC plug to the engine room and rewiring the 120AC breaker correctly so the engine room plug comes off shore power, not the inverter.

I spent many more hours figuring that out as opposed to perhaps an hour to prep and an hour to install both pads.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I haven't looked yet as to the where to install. If it is not going to be too difficult I will go with the bottom of the pan. I was told the side was nearly as effective. Since I wont be paying extra for the electricity consumed my plan will be to leave them on year round. I didn't think to call VB Boats but will inquire as to pricing for future add ons. TSwann, what is your thoughts on a CCV system for a 28 with 6BTA 330hp motors? I had a diesel mechanic tell me it is not neccessary, however I do notice a thin coating of black buildup inside the engine compartment. It's not noticeable until you wipe down part of the motor and it is whiter than before.
          Jim B.
          FLY'N FISH 35 Classic
          Va. Beach

Comment

Racor CCV

Top notch add on for your Bs . . .

Necessary no, but will keep your engine space clean and collect all of the oil vapor/mist into a convenient 'puke' can that you can dump every now and then.

My 330Bs had Walker Air Seps on them and they worked great. CCV same concept save for the fact that the Walkers drain the collected mist back to the crankcase and CCVs to a 'can'. Much debate on which is a better philosphy . . .
            Tres

http://www.virginiabeachboats.net
            http://www.specialtyproducts.net

Comment

you guys may want to look at the "boat safe" heaters...you can mount it or take it out...no hard wiring

it works very well, safe, and requires no wiring....

Also, Kim Hotstart has a good chart showing wattage needed vs. oil pan capacity...sometimes more wattage is not better if you can keep the pan warm with a smaller heater, as evident by tripping the breaker...

if the engines are so cold that the oil needs to be warm, then you also may want to have the heated battery wraps as well...battery amps available and power needed to start a diesel run opposite ways on the graph as the temps get colder

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies. I already ordered the wolverines and they are enroute a I type. I oredered the 250 watt because they were just big enough according to the chart. I could have gone with 500 watt as it overlaps on the chart for my oil pan capacity but I figured why use all that extra juice. I will also now be looking to add CCV to my "to do" list.
                Jim B.
                FLY'N FISH 35 Classic
                Va. Beach

Comment

Working...
                X