cc25 gas or diesel ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cc25 gas or diesel ?

I am selling a luhrs 29 and moving to a cc25. Would like to hear pros and cons from owners on gas vs. diesel. After reading lengthy threads on the yanmar 315 I'm thinking gas. I could use some advice.

I would say it depends on how much you are going to use it and how much you want to spend. It's hard to justify the extra cost of a diesel just based on fuel savings. There is a slight safety feature of diesel over gas but I consider that insignificant. The diesel might retain it's value a little better.

Considering the cost of a new 25 the diesel isn't that much extra and I would probably opt for the diesel if I were buying a new one if it werent for the fact that my wife can't handle the diesel exhaust from even the new ones. Even the slight exhaust from the Crusader in ours bothers her if the wind is blowing right.

Service on the gas engine is more readily available than certain diesels in some places. Most servicing marinas have the software to look at a FI gas engine.

Comment

As always with internet threads on certain engines, boats or equipment understand the entire issue before discarding a choice. The only bad things you should hear about a Yanmar SLP (300/315) is with a production run of certain serial numbers where there was an issue of valve stems sticking in a new style valve guide that Yanmar tried. The issue affected some engines from model year 1996-2002. There are thousands of SLPs in that time that never exhibited a problem and Yanmar's postion has always remained that the engines with problems were due to over-propping thus subject to very high EGTs. There was a class action suit and it was settled before judgement. Yanmar agreed to extend the warranty of any engine that suffered a valve related failure for seven years.

I requested that two service bulletins be performed on my engines as a condition of sale to replace the valve guides and exhaust valves. Yanmar did the work at zero cost. The boat I bought had never exhibited a problem but I wanted it done anyway.

I have copies of the service bulletins and serial numbers of all engines affected by this. If you need them just ask.

The bottom line is that anyone who owns one of these engines is covered for an additional 7 years of warranty. Personally, I have second guessed the need to accomplish the service bulletins but they did good work and to date on 2001 engines I have zero issues and am very happy with these engines.

That said, if you are buying new don't buy the Yanmar. The Volvo engine options available are electronic engines while the SLP remains mechanical for another (probably it's last) year as a mechanical diesel.

Before you make your gas vs diesel decision research the resale value of both. It's not just the operating cost that needs to justify the initial increased investment in a diesel. If you look at resale values of gas powered CC25's versus diesel powered you will quickly determine that a diesel choice is a no brainer. A quick look at all 25's for sale with diesel power will tell you the big picture story.
      Patriot
      Last edited by Patriot; 01-17-2008, 06:40 PM.
      NIGHTHAWK
      2001 CC 28
      Yanmar 300's

Comment

Gas or Diesel?

Diesel....PERIOD.

Just traded in my 25 for the 28. Proud owner of the same engine...just now I have two of them, Yanmar 315's.
        1965 MFG 16'
        1973 Grady White 18'
        205' USCG Cutter Tamaroa - Engineer
        125' FEADSHIP M/Y "Gillian" - Engineer
        50' Gulfstar S/Y - Mate
        2005 Wellcraft 23' center console
        2007 Carolina Classic 25
        2007 Carolina Classic 28

Comment

Diesel drawbacks

The problem with the diesel in the newer 25 is the boat is just plain slow. With a full load, you might be able to run in the 20-23kt range with a tail wind. That is a problem, if you have to run in excess of 60 nautical miles each way. Especially, during the fall and early spring when the day light periods are shorter.

On the other hand, I'm not sure you get a whole lot more speed out of the gas boat. You will have to ask some of the site members that can give you real performance numbers. The performance numbers provided with one guy and a half a tank of fuel so often associated with boat marketing, does not provide a lot of useful information.

Comment

gas or diesel?

I have 25 gas - so only 'qualified' to talk about that.
            Let me start with speed (was most recent post). HeyDoc is right about 'marketing', but reality with 1 person and 1/2 fuel on flat water my 10 year old gas boat will top 40mph. So what? More importantly, with 3-4 guys, bait, beer and fishing tackle running offshore I average 21-23Kts between 3250-3450 rpm. Coming home with favorable seas buring a little more fuel I average 25kts.

The initial cost of gas generally far less than diesel; the re-sale value of gas generally much less than diesel. That's probably a more important $ equation than price of fuel difference each season.

Gas engine (at least mine) is easy to work on and (except in the Bahamas where there are many more diesel mechanics than gas ones) plenty of folks who can work on gas engines. I'm told gas won't last as long between rebuilds, but this I don't know from experience.

There is a 'safety' factor between the two. It's gas - clean up spills, run your blowers before you start. Same as any boat with gas.

I don't know the DB (sound) in the helm of g vs d. I do know I need an external speaker so I can hear radio when we are running and it can be challanging to hold a conversation over the engine noise when running (that's gas). I don't know which raises fish better, but I do know the rumble around 1150rpm on mine does raise fish.

When I move up in size (eg next boat?) I intend to have twins, inboard and diesel. Honestly when I was looking for this boat I didn't want gas and I didn't want an outdrive - but I fell in love with the CC anyway and after 6+ years, even with the occasional challanges most related to engine issues, I still am very happy with the boat.

Johnd

Comment

Working...
            X