soda blasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soda blasting

does anyone know about cleaning the bottom paint off the hull? I heard about soda blasting but dont know anything about it so if anyone can help it would be app. Thanks

Rather than soda blasting - I had my '98 28' sand blasted last year. I asked them to do it lightly - and they did - removing all of the bottom paint and leaving the bottom ready for priming. Several people that I know that opted for soda blasting were not too happy - because it required them to sand the hull afterwords - rather than the sand blasting that left a rougher surface to readily accept the paint.
    Capt. B

Now a 2014 28' Regulator
    Wall, NJ

Comment

Who does sand blasting in NJ

Comment

There are other much milder abrasives such as walnut shells you should look at before you let someone sandblast the hull. It takes incredible skill and control to avoid burning through the gelcoat and top layer of laminate with sandblasting. Don't take a chance, even if you follow the sandblasting with epoxy barrier coat. Strip the paint chemically and use light hand sanding or find someone who uses material that will not erode the gelcoat.

Comment

I had a 28 CC Soda Blasted at the beginning of last years season. It came out beautiful, all the paint was gone and the surface was smooth and ready for paint. I too would be very wary of blasting with any media like sand.

Comment

I have used Shore Media/Sandblasting from Mantaloking NJ - 732-262-8850. They did my 26' Shamrock years ago and my CC last year. They have been in business a long time and have an outstanding reputation down here. To each his own, but I would not hesitate to have them do any boat - and much prefer it over soda blasting.
            Capt. B

Now a 2014 28' Regulator
            Wall, NJ

Comment

I agree with Bluefin, sand blasting is high risk for fiberglass. Sand blasting even with fine silica or even garnet oxide is very risky on gelcoat. Yes, some have had good luck with sandblasting but the operator has to be extremely skilled and even then you really don't know how much gelcoat they wasted away. The navy stopped allowing contractors to use sandblasting on anything fiberglass many years ago due to base material wastage issues and the specification now only allows black walnut shell media or ultra high presure water. As a matter of fact the navy doesn't even allow sand blasting on aluminum anymore unless the media is garnet oxide which has the consitency close to sugar.
              NIGHTHAWK
              2001 CC 28
              Yanmar 300's

Comment

I work with the the owner of Tidewater Sodablasting in the Virginia Beach area. I can tell you that your boat will be ready to paint as soon as we are done. The only thing you need to do is give it a wipedown with Interlux 202 or other recommended solvent. This is per the directions on any container of bottom paint. I have seen hulls that are sandblasted and would not subject my gelcoat to that abuse. My 28 has been soda blasted and I have 100% adhesion of the barrier coat and bottom paint. Our top customer is Bluewater Yachts. We have removed paint on many of their large Vikings and custom boats at their facilities in Hampton as well as at the industrial park in Wanchese. We have also done many boats at Spencer Boats in Wanchese. Most boats, and any size Carolina Classic, is a one day job. It is a little more costly than sandblasting though.
                Jim B.
                FLY'N FISH 35 Classic
                Va. Beach

Comment

I had my boat bottom soda blasted last year and it was worth every penny. You need to get references or better yet see the work that has been done on other boats. The quality of the job is dependant on the person doing the blasting. An incompetant person will do damage with any blasting media.

Comment

How much money are we talking about here to soda blast a 28?
                    Bullish
                    2002 28
                    Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

It cost me $35/ft.
                      If you are in the New Jersey area contact Dynamic Soda Blasting, Lakewood NJ

Comment

Down here in Va. Beach/NC Tidewater Sodablasting charges length times length. So a 28 footer is 28x28=$784. Above 50 feet in length it is length times 50. Check out the business owners ad on tidalfish for a discount.
                        Jim B.
                        FLY'N FISH 35 Classic
                        Va. Beach

Comment

Working...
                        X