Bottom Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom Paint

Let's here it. Which do you prefer and why?

I have been using Interlux Ultra with Biolux for five years. I haven't had any growth problems as this paint is a very good anti-fouling paint. I have some slime on the boat when I pull her in the Fall but that's all. I think it has worked well. I am particularily interested in opinions on paint that create the smoothest boat bottom and allow for higher speed/best efficency.
    Bullish
    2002 28
    Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

I use the same paint. Sand the bottom with my finishing sander then thin down the paint and apply 1 coat with a 1/4" nap roller. Used 3/4 gal. This gives a very smooth finish. I gained 1.5kts from the previous year.
    Life is to short for an ugly boat

sigpic
    2015 Enclosed Helm 35
    Tom

Comment

What are you using on shafts, rudders, trim tabs? I used interlux paint spray a few years ago but wasn't impressed.
      Bullish
      2002 28
      Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

Prop Speed

Has anybody used this product? When I bought my 28 the props were painted GOLD found out that it's Prop Speed. No growth on the props. Wonder if it can be used on the Volvo out drives as well???
        "Addison Leigh"
        1995 Carolina Classic 28'
        Wrightsville Beach, NC

Comment

bottom paint

We have had good success with the interlux ACT for th past 6 years. Boat is put in 2nd week of april and pulled end of November with only a little bit of slime on the bottom. Bottom only needs light sanding for repainting since the coating wears off through out the season. We do have many small barnicles on the running gear when pulled. Charter boat captain said he and other charter boats started to us a product, I believe called Prop Coat for their running gear which is a two step process, ends up to be a clear coat which he said keeps the gear clean but most importantly improves speed from 1-2 knots on all their boats. He said cost about $180 and was moore than worth it. Good luck!
          WELL DONE - Henry
          2006 CC 28
          Home Port - Cape May, NJ

Comment

I sanded thoroughly this year with an electric pad sander. When applying the Interlux, I thinned agressively and used a 1/8 inch nap roller. I only used 1/2 gallon of paint for the whole boat. In addition I took an inch of pitch out of my props over the winter using the prop scan system. I now have 18 x 23 wheels.....not acmes.

Those two adjustments incresed my rpms to 3900 at wot (where they should be) and a top speed of 30 knots. That is a 4.5 knot and 300 rpm improvement over last year. I can conservatively cruise at 3250 and 24.5 knots. This is a nice improvement over last year.

I also discovered an air leak on the bottom of each aftercooler. Hopefully, I'll pick up a little more performance after fixing that.
            Bullish
            2002 28
            Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

I just finished sanding my old paint smooth with a DA. I then thinned Micron Extra 10% with the recommended thinner. I used a 1/8th inch thick foam roller (as per Mac's recommendation) to apply paint. It went on super smooth and it took about 1.25 gallons for 2 coats. Have not run it yet to see if I gained any speed, but Mac says using unthinned paint with a standard 3/8th inch nap roller can cost as much as a few knots. He said the thinned paint/foam roller method was only knocking off 1/2 knot compared to an unpainted boat. I also called him to ask about the new underwater coatings such as prop speed and prop koat. He told me not to do it. They tried prop speed with not so good results. I talked to a rep from pettit about prop koat. It goes on thick, 10 mil dry. Thick coating like that will alter the cup of the prop and negatively affect speed. I decided to leave my props uncoated again this year and just dive them every once in awhile. On rudders and trim tabs I first applied interlux 2 part barrier coat, followed by the micron extra. On the shafts I used pettit zinc barnacle block spray paint. I will say I talked to a rep from acme propeller and he said that prop speed is the best product out there right now. He also mentioned to be careful as applying it to thick can also affect the cupping on their props.
              Jim B.
              FLY'N FISH 35 Classic
              Va. Beach

Comment

Working...
              X