Trailering a 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailering a 25

New member here from Cape Cod. I do not own a CC yet but am seriously considering the 25 with a jackshaft and sterndrive. I will be trailering and have a couple of great ramps close to the house. They are fairly steep and deep. Would appreciate any "real world" experiences and info on this topic (type of trailer, wet weight, vehicle you tow with etc...). Thanks in advance, Steve

You won't be disappointed with the CC25!

My trailer is an aluminum tandem axle. I launch from boat ramps in SC (where we have 7 to 9 feet tides) so they can be a little steep in some locations. My launch truck is a 1995 Ford F-250 4x4 with a 351 engine. It pulls the boat fine and I haven't had to use 4wd yet!

Comment

Trailering a 25

Billh, Thanks for the input. Are you also running a jackshaft model? And how is the recovery at the ramp? How does the boat drive on to the trailer? Good to know a basic F250 will pull it. Thanks again, Steve

Comment

Hi BillH,

I pull my 25 around with an F350 - no problem (has the jackshafted Volvo Diesel and I keep the fuel tanks filled so it can't get much heavier). Don't under estimate the added weight of fuel - especially as this baby holds 160gallons. You'll definitely be looking for at least a 12,000 GVW trailer. I have a Load Rite 12,500 roller trailer that does the job just fine (not to say you don't feel the added weight - these Carolinas are built like brick S-houses). Plan on dropping ~$8000 for this trailer new. Can't comment on how well you can launch/ haul - I can't bring myself to dunk my trailer in the water - would rather just pay the $75 twice a year for the lift.

Don't be surprised if the trailer manufacturers won't believe you when you tell them how much the CC25 weighs. When I was trying to buy my trailer last year, three different guys told me I was crazy when I gave them the boat weight - I finally had to have the dealer call the factory to confirm the weight before he would take the trailer order.

Good Luck - you will not be disappointed with a Carolina.

Comment

Search "trailering 25" on this site. You'll find a lot of info.
          --Mike
          2004 Carolina Classic 25 - Little Dandy
          Volvo 8.1 DuoProp
          ocimaya.org

Comment

Trailering a 25

Thanks little dandy...the search provided great info. Looks like most are using a diesel or hd pickup. I'm running the new Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 engine. Might be ok for short tows. Steve.

Comment

I use to tow mine 100 mile round trip with a GMC 1500 4x4. It was a little sluggish on steep hills but towed pretty well. I think its all about how it is balanced on the trailer. I use a triple axle loadmaster 10,500 lb. trailer with surge brakes. I think the CC 25 weighs approximately 8500 lb's wet. If you call the factory I,m sure they can tell you the exact weight. I am now towing with a GMC 2500 hd 4x4 gas with ease. I think your Toyota will tow it pretty well.

Comment

Forgot, welcome aboard sb23.
                --Mike
                2004 Carolina Classic 25 - Little Dandy
                Volvo 8.1 DuoProp
                ocimaya.org

Comment

Originally posted by sb23 View Post
                  Billh, Thanks for the input. Are you also running a jackshaft model? And how is the recovery at the ramp? How does the boat drive on to the trailer? Good to know a basic F250 will pull it. Thanks again, Steve

My boat is a jackshaft model (I/O). I basically load my boat by myself (believe it or not).

My wife will drive the trailer to our community boat ramp (only a few hundred yards from the house) and back it in. I have guide posts on the trailer so I drive the boat onto the trailer and power it on pretty much to the winch post (Cautionary Note: The raw water intake is very close to midship....make sure your intake is still in the water when you are on the trailer if the engine is running). I shut the engine down, go up to the bow, get on the trailer, attach the strap and winch it on. That's pretty much it!

Comment

Trailering a 25

First, Congrats on being that close to a ramp! I'll have about 7 miles...still not bad. When you say "drive on" I'm assuming you have a bunk trailer and the hull will stop once enough weight has been loaded? Also, do your trailer guides keep the transom from swinging off line in a wind? Again, thanks for the info...I realize a bit of trial and error is required as each ramp is unique. Steve

Comment

I do have a bunk trailer and once the boat "settles in" I don't have to worry about it floating off the trailer. The guides help me line up so I don't miss the bunks. They do help keep the boat on the trailer; however, with a strong cross wind or tide they will bend over like they were made of twigs. The CC25 is a heavy boat!

Comment

trailering

I have old RAM 2500 4x4. I use 4x almost all the time I come off ramp. (Had same truck with 2 wheel drive and too often on steep ramps I couldn't get out!) Have also pulled with 'Navigator' and the auto-leveling feature was very nice.
                        Strongly encourage dual axle trailer (vs. triple axel) - backs and turns better with less wear on tires.
                        I know it's behind me when going up bridges (we don't have hills in Florida). It's a heavy vessel, especailly when loaded with fuel, ice, etc
                        Ramps are 1 mile and 6 miles from my home. At the local ramp I often launch / load alone. I do not have guideposts and on windy days they might be helpful. On windy days I do prefer someone to help me.
                        Launching: back down with strap still hooked up till deep enough to start engine. Start engine. Climb over bow, back a little deeper (till she floats), release hook, climb on and back off trailer.
                        Load: back in about 3/4 or a little more what I need. Power on to trailer (ramps, not rollers). Keep in gear at idle for slight forward push. Climb over bow, hook up winch and tug it tight. Back down a little and either power forward to winch. Check centered on trailer. Turn off engine. Raise outdrive. TURN OFF KEY!! (when you leave key on the engine hour meter will run all week . Climb over bow and drive out.
                        It's really not hard on most ramps. JohnD

Comment

Trailering a 25

JohnD, Thanks for input and practical info. A couple of questions. When launching, are you able to reach and release the strap hook from the bow or are you climbing off? I'm assuming you can release the hook from the vessel and then quickly move back to wheel to drive to the dock. The same question applies to loading.
                          Thanks, Steve

Comment

25 trailer

Have to get on / off the boat to release the bow strap.
                            I simply climb over the bow rail and step onto the vertical post (that winch is mounted on) of the trailer and step down to trailer. Unhook or re-hook.

I admit sometimes when retrieving I have to get on and off a couple of times, backing truck down so that boat will 'float' and ride all the way up on trailer. MUCH easier with a buddy to drive, but that's probably true with most every launch/retrieve.

And not always much eaiser if my bride is driving the truck, something about me screaming and not listening, but that's another issue
                            johnd

Comment

Trailering a 25

John, Thanks for the feedback. I've launched enough vessels to get the idea. Just wanted to hear from someone with the weight and heft of a boat this big. Good to get it down to a science before having someone else help...I share your experience with the spouse! Happy holidays, Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X