water ingestion on volvo 8.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water ingestion on volvo 8.1

Was told by dealer in N.C. that the volvo 8.1 has never had a water ingestion problem and it was only the 6.4 that had the problem. Is this BS or is this the truth? I made offer on boat based on crusader repower. He stated offer to low because of no ingestion problems.

Ingestion Problems

I have never had an 8.1 gas volvo, but all the water ingestion issues posted on this site have been with the 8.1. You might want to read prior postings and call the factory. My impression from all the posts is to stay away from anything gas unless it is a crusader.

Comment

What year is the boat. I think as long as it is a carb engine (pre vortec), you should be OK.
      Life is to short for an ugly boat

sigpic
      2015 Enclosed Helm 35
      Tom

Comment

Crusader is the only gasser w/o ingestion problems. Call CC and they will honestly answer any questions w/o BS with regard to water ingestion.

Comment

My 28 with 7.4 w/exhaust mods,shutdown procedure it doesnt matter I have abut 40 hrs took in water on port engine #3&5 cly. I am looking to repower not w/gas. Marine diesel ,Steyr,Cummins I dont no yet I have a long winter ahead.Definetly not Volvo.
          98 CC28 T/ 230hp HPCR Iveco
          "Summer Nights"
          Forked River N.J.

Comment

Cost

Just what are you looking at price wise?
            "Addison Leigh"
            1995 Carolina Classic 28'
            Wrightsville Beach, NC

Comment

I am thinking 40 - 50 grand I got the boat for a decent price but still should not happen I know in your case it was a differt story. I like the Marine Diesel option they were about 20 an engine but they fit perfectly where the big block goes and need little to no mods to instal which saves labor plus like you I have outdrive and these engines turn 3600 so just a little propping and were good.We will have to visit our prop guy in Ind.The other engines will need some retro fitting and mods. to fit.I am going to some of the boat shows this winter to shop and try to get some info I would also like to talk to Mac.Volvo D260 options was about 60 but that included all new controls (electronic throttles and shifting two sta.) and I know volvo everything is expensive.I will keep you posted.
              98 CC28 T/ 230hp HPCR Iveco
              "Summer Nights"
              Forked River N.J.

Comment

Working...
              X