buying my first cc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying my first cc

iam picking up my 2000 25 on wednesday,it has a volvo kamd44p. i just wanted some opinions on this power. motor has 475hrs on it.Any info will be helpful.

you must read this

: this boat will only catch you fish ...if and only if ..you fish with someone who has more fish fighting stamina than anyone in the east whom is no other than me THOMAS THUNNUS!!!!!!!! FISH OR DIE
    Last edited by thomas thunnus; 02-18-2008, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Congratulations! The boat will raise fish. Now, Thomas is correct, you really need to take along some folks who can handle a rod and gaff.
      I volunteer
      JohnD

Comment

I have a pair of those motors in my 28

My comments should be taken with the understanding that this is my first inboard boat and I don't have experience with other manufacturers.

To date, I've had to replace both compressor clutches and fix an air leak at the housing of both compressors. I've also had the compressor fuse blow in the past for no apparent reason. The compressors on these engines seem to be a bit of a weak link as I've talked to others with these problems. Having said that, it may be a condition consistent with the 28. She is much heavier than the 25 and perhaps the 44's are not a great fit for her. Contrary to my experience, others have not had the same problem with the same engines in the 28.....take from it what you will.

I know some of the fellas on this board have repowered their 28's in recent years with the commonrail volvo engine that replaced my series engine. They seem to be happy with little complaints. I imagine it is available in the 25 as well.

Volvo Penta parts are possibly the most expensive...although I hear Yanmar is no bargain either.

Buy yourself a good torque wrench. You will need to tighten those belts accurately or else they slip and squeal easily.

Whatever you decide, make sure to buy contingent upon an inspection by a good mechanic. That is probably most important. Good luck.
        Bullish
        2002 28
        Volvo Kamd 44p's

sigpic

Comment

i had a 2000 with the same engine and sold it in 2006 with 1000 hrs on it. no problems at all. my neighbor has it now and the only issue was a computer problem which volvo took care of. the compressor would not disingage at the correct time. runs great now.

Comment

thanks for the info,my survey gave me a clean bill of health,tech recomendedto have the 500hr service done,of course by him. cant wait for spring i'll fishing out of wildwood this year hopefully enter capemay shark tourny,thomas thunnus can be my bait btch

Comment

congrats!

cara mia,

congrats on boat...boat for this area. i live in wildwood crest keep my cc25 at hinch's marina in cape may....so we are neighboors! i won the cape may shark tourny in 2006 w. heavyist mako chuck and mary from hinch's are great people. what more can i say these boats raise fish ....i do overnighters often and and am often the only 25' out there. name of the boat is the f. stop II. any way congrats on boat you will love it. mac and keith at cc stand behind the boats. i use eckles for all my mech. they are very familar with cc. i have a volvo kamd 43....it's been a good motor for me. all the best come see me at the wild wood boat show i work for sea tow will be at the booth. hope your a member! feel free to call me for any info.you will love the boat!

steve
              f.stop II
              609 675 6558

Comment

I'm curious what kind of numbers do you get on a normal canyon run and what do you do for ice storage.I bought the boat in nov. and haven't really ran it offshore.Also looking forward to capemay tourny.Thanks for the reply.

Comment

for ice i have an icy tek 125 quart cooler and the cc ice chest/seat.

i burn about 10-11 gallons an hour. on a 70 -75 nm run to the est side of the wilmington canyon running straight out, then picking up dirfting at night about another 10 nm troll home to the 30 fathom line and then running at cruise to the dock i burn about 95-105 gallons. this is fully loaded etc.

f.stop

Comment

Hammer Head

HERE HERE CARA MIA >>>>
                    NOW YOU KNOW THAT MY FISHING ABLITIES ARE SECOND TO NONE!!!!! YOU WORRY ABOUT MAKING SURE THE BOAT STARTS UP AT THE DOCK...AND ILL GET US TO THE FISH ..... YOU BETTER SHARPEN THE GAFF SHARK SKIN IS NO JOKE.... OR I GUESS I COULD HAND YOU THE ROD AND REEL ..HENCE NOT ONLY CATACH THE FISH BUT LAND IT ALL BY MY SELF

FISH OR DIE THOMAS THUNNUS "OUT"

Comment

Working...
                    X