Volvo 290 DP oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo 290 DP oil change

I recently changed the oil in my 290DP sterndrive. The manual says it takes 2.7qts but also says that I should tip the drive up and fill through the fill-hole until it can't take anymore, then tip it down to continue to fill through the dipstick-hole.

So I put in 3qts through the fill-hole and it looked like it was about to spill out if I put in more. I tipped it down and the dipstick seemed to read as if it had too much oil in.

So the question is should I drain out some oil so it only has 2.7qts and it reads at the top mark of the dipstick or should I leave the three quarts in?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    CC Rider
    '94 Carolina Classic 25
    Volvo 7.4l carb, DP

I think I answered my own question. I looked at an electronic version of the manual (which seems more detailed then my version but maybe my memory is failing me). But it states to observe the fill marks on the dipstick rather then filling it up until it can't fit anymore.

The funny thing is the last guy that serviced the drive (Volvo dealer) failed to do this so I was driving around for the season with too much oil in it and he didn't replace the o-rings. Not very good.
    CC Rider
    '94 Carolina Classic 25
    Volvo 7.4l carb, DP

Comment

Working...
    X