Information Repository

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information Repository

What about a repository, a library of sorts, that resides on the forum for everyone and anyone who might need some technical info on the boat they own. We're on the cloud now, so such a large chunk of information might exist without stressing the system that supports the forum.

The thing about a repository is that it might be logically organized. I have this on my home system. Segmented by hull type, then by engine type, then drive type, etc, etc. All marine topics related in their own category. Kind of envision this as its own forum, separate from the conversation forums, but accessible by all.

Much less fruitless searching for specifics while trying to recall who wrote what, when, and where it might be.

I have 200 MB in my personal repository today, and that's without photos. Of course there are a lot of holes. 25 and (some) 28 stuff. No 32 or 35 info. Some gas engines. No diesels. Not because I don't like them, but because I've never had a reason to chase workshop or owners manuals in those categories.

Outdrives and jackshafts, but not much on straight shafts or transmissions. The categories are there, just mostly empty right now. Other guys would need to fill them with information they might have.

In the end, if the need is not there, or no one is interested, no big deal.
    "Pescadora"
    CC25 - Hull #60, 1995
    Volvo 8.1Gi-A, 1.78 DP-D1, C5
    Stainless Marine Exhaust
    w/ Heated Manifolds

That is an excellent idea.

Comment

I mentioned making a repository awhile back. Right now, it's a random search and if the original poster used different terminology, finding an answer is not that easy, even when you know that the info is on the website.
      sigpic
      Art. . .

Fine Catch
      1999 28 Carolina Classic
      Cummins 4bta's
      Sandy Hook & Raritan Bay area

Comment

Excellent idea! Since I got my CC25 this summer I’ve been trying to track down every bit of literature on it mainly service manuals and “how to” for repairs or general PM’s. It would be great to have that info centralized here to find easily.

Comment

Great idea Rod.
          sure would lessen my need to ask Rod for more emails! Again n again
          Tom, can you make that happen?

Comment

Doing this might be about survival of this forum. Hard to post? Hard to find stuff? We've lost about a third of the actives since I've been here. Finding technical data now is no joke.

None of us will be around forever.

We, who promote this idea, might assist somewhat. Those folks who have hard copy manuals might get them converted to PDF. PaperChase (local copier) did that for me for a song. Can't remember how much, but it was like going to lunch or something like that.

So first a structure, then fill in the holes, then burn a disk and get it to a moderator, or THE master moderator to put it where it belongs. The structure might evolve during this process.
            So who's got what? Here's how my stuff is organized.

snap.jpg
            "Pescadora"
            CC25 - Hull #60, 1995
            Stainless Marine Exhaust
            w/ Heated Manifolds

Comment

Guys,
              Let's keep the ideas coming and have a little patience. There are some more changes for the forum coming in the next few months. That is all I can say for now.
              Steve
              Steve
              Reel Freedom
              2000 CC 28
              CUMMINS 6BTAs
              Cape May, NJ

Comment

Cool. Good to hear.
                "Pescadora"
                CC25 - Hull #60, 1995
                Stainless Marine Exhaust