Bahamas Trip April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bahamas Trip April

Hey Guys, Has anyone made the trip across to the islands. My boys and I are likely going to try in April and hope to go to the Berrys and possibly Abacos. There was a post from a South Florida Classic owner about trips but it has since been erased.
    2001 28\' 230 Volvo Diesels

Easy Trip

Were Are You Coming From? I Live In Ft. Lauderdale Pompano Beach Area And We Can Be There In 2 To 2.5 Hours.. Its A Great Trip.. The Only Hassle Is Customs .. They , Changed The Rate For Custom Taxes .. Last I Heard It Was $ 150 Per Boat,, Bring Your Passport And Drivers License Also Just In Case... With The $150 Fee You Are Allowed To Go Back 3 Times... But Dont Take My Word On All This Because The Bahamians Change Criteria All The Time.. So It Is What It Is At The Time... You Can Call The Bimini Big Game Resort And Maybe They Will Be Helpful.the Fishing Is Great,, Plan On Diving If You Like To... I Love The Bahamas Its,,,,,,greeeeeat.....
    Chuckabear

Comment

Bahamas

We are thinking of late April...do a good deal of boats from S. FLA cross at that time?

Comment

Bahamas

Valhala,,, There Are Guys Crossing All The Time When The Conditions Are Right I Believe You Are From Ga. I Would Come Down To Stuart Wpb. Then Cross Over But Iam Not The Captain... Make Sure You Got A Radio With A High Antenna Youll Be Able To Reach The States About Half Way There But After That If There Is Trouble Youll Have To Relay To Someone That Can Pick You Up On Radio And Relay For You... Once I Broke Down In Bimini Thats What We Had To Do Eventually Boat U.s .came And Got Us ... Get A Sat Phone For The Trip You Can Rent One For About $50 Bucks A Week???? Great Trip You Wont Regret It,, Be Safe,, Chuckabear

Comment

Bahamas

A Sat Phone is high on our list of equipment to bring. Since we are going to the Berrys (Chub) I think WPB would be the ideal departure city. I need to get the boat down in March and leave it until April and watch the weather. Hopefully by late APR that will stabilize. I am also going to get a list of repair yards together in the event we have a problem over there. I know Great Harbour in the Berrys has on, of course Marsh Harbour, West End, Bimini, Nassau etc.

Comment

we are planning on crossing in the middle of may this year because we had a trip planned last year to cross in the mid of april and got blown out. i think april is a better time as far as fishing and temp. but the crossing conditions can be questionable. we are going to elbow and billfish for a week i have never been so any pointers will be helpfull.

Comment

chub

i will be on chub on another boat from 4/4-4/11...Charlie

Comment

Chub

That may well be the week we are there, it will depend on the weather. Which city will you be departing from? To the post from the guys going to Elbow - I have fished The Hole in the Wall in March and it was INSANE. Tuna till your arms fell off, then a blue. We stayed on the hook inshore of there in an area called Sandy Point. I am not sure of the distance between Elbow and Hole in the Wall but it would be worth the run in my opinion.

Comment

bahamas

Watch out for customs and the new fishing regs. I have heard some bad stories about people being hassled and one guy got arrested and boat impounded in Andros in January for fishing prior to checking in. I have been told that the limit is 20 lbs of scaled fish per day per boat (regardless of # of people) and 6 pelagic fish per day per boat. Do not take my word for it verify directly with them becuase these new regs went into effect 1/7/07. Chub is awesome just redid everything and the fishing is great. Do not know how much is left to do in the resort, but I know most of the marina is done. Coming form WPB, I would probaly go to West End or Lucaya and then go straight to Chubb, if you have the range. You could also stop at Great Harbour- but the marina is not in good shape last time I was there and you should call ahead and make sure they have fuel- and bring fuel filters, the fuel in the bahamas is horrible and you should be checking your fuel filters. Sat phone a must. The pocket is hottest when the wind is out of the southeast. Good yellowtailing in front of Whale Cay in about 60 feet, good deep dropping right in front of Rum Cay too. May is the best month, last couple of years it has still been windy in April. Good Luck
                  ISLAND XPRESS

Comment

On second thought if you are coming from WPB you should think of the doing Spanish Cay and end up in Treasure (you could stop at West End if you don't have the fuel). Nice run and a lot of protected waters once you cross the stream. Fishing is just as good-tunas bite really late before sundown.
                    ISLAND XPRESS

Comment

Bahamas

Thanks for your input. We have a box full of racors and secondary filters to take with.

Comment

been there in my old boat. I plan on taking the new boat in May sometime. If you are planning a trip across and staying for several days you need to make a possible back up plan for the boat to stay longer due to sea conditions. The forcast changed on one of our crossings in May and it was to rough to return. We left the boat at Port Lucaya Marina for several weeks and returned later to bring the boat home.

On the customs issue: It is critical that you do not have fish on your boat when checking into customs even if you caught them on the way over in US waters. We have been boarded several times by Gilligans Navy ( Behimian Navy ) and although nice they are looking for ways to raise money for thier Government.
                        "A Fine is a tax for doing wrong, A Tax is a fine for doing well"
                        2006 35'CC twin 540

Comment

Working...
                        X