Poon Harpoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poon Harpoon

Thinking of buying a harpoon was wondering if anyone has ever used or owned a poon harpoon if so how did you like it.

made by a friend of mine

Expensive but worth it. Its much better balanced and faster than a traditional aluminum cockpit harpoon.

You can track it through the water fast and accurately to stab a fish, or you can throw it accurately the requisite 10'.

I use mine for 2 purposes; sticking a shark I don't want on a gaff and for tuna over 150#; anything less gets double gaffed.

Comment

I think I am going to order one they are on sale for 269 without the tips. It breaks down into pieces so you can store it in a umbrella bag. How much rope or wire do you use on your tips?

Comment

Tight steel cable loop

My dart's have a tight, perhaps 6 or 8" loop of either shark cable (480# 49 ply steel wire cable) or a same sized loop of triple looped and woven 400# mono leader; doubled swaged.

I then run a basket full (200'??) of 1/4" line which is tied via bowline to the cable or mono leader.

I also run a loop of mono through the hole in the butt piece; the running line of 1/4" lien goes through that loop to allow me to retrieve the Poon if its thrown after a fish.

Mine goes on the port tower leg; rigged and ready to go.

Comment

Here's a video Kevin and Chris made of the Poon in action

http://videos.sportfishermen.com/vie...p?video_id=297

Nice fish, eh?

Comment

Wow, what a fish. Is it common to throw that harpoon a half dozen times before getting a solid connection? I have no experience with them other than the 6' Relaible harpoon I used with my pop while shark fishing many years back.

He has recently given the harpoon to me and I was thinking about putting it back into service. I do not believe it is suited to be thrown, it seems unbalanced.

Chris
            "Pelagic" 2006 Classic 32

Comment

That was the same shot 5 times

Instant replay of the same 2 strikes a couple times each.

You can see on the first that CJ slings it as opposed to a throw.

The Poon is head weighted which allows it to be tossed a couple yards when the fish surfs up at the end of the leader.

In a perfect world you get the fish up w/in 5' of the boat and jab into it w/ the dart which is much more in control than the throw and pray

Throw and miss; throw and hit the gill plate; throw and bounce, throw and chip the line; I personally would much rather wait for the fish to come closer, but I'm fishing recreationally, not for $$$ like the guys in the video.

They also got 20-30 fish/year back in the glory days.....

Comment

Working...
              X