Petty Cash fumbles in the wilmington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petty Cash fumbles in the wilmington

Went to the Wilmington 8/27 on a tip that there was a good longfin bite at the eastside of the tip. We arrived at 7:30am and at 9:00am we had the wwb line snap the clip off my center rigger and the fish dump around 450 yds of 80 w/ 18 ibs drag. I take the rod and hand it to my buddy and the fight is on. One hour and 15 minutes of putting the boat in and out of gear and trying to keep it downsea in those 4 footers and my buddy on the rod trying his best to possibly get that photo op with a big tuna. Finally had the fish 20 yard behind the boat when it decided to make a run at the boat, my buddy could not reel fast enough and I could not throttle up fast enough the fish came undone. We ended the day with one 40 lb longfin which was uneventful after tha first fish. A real heartbreaker.
    28 Carolina Classic 2003 (sold)
    18 Cobia 2001
    Perry

man thats a tough one there, ashame the big boy came unbottoned, you think it was a tunafish for sure, if so had to be a bigeye.quick question did you see any squid boats there around the 100 line or so. had a buddy there on friday of the ma500 and they were gettin mauled by 50-60 lb yellowfin.

Comment

There was 1 squid boat at the 100 line just north of the notch. I was heading for it but the seas were a little rough and decided to head back to the tip. A boat had gone to the tip on sunday and said that they couldn't keep the longfin off. I went expecting longfin and I get Big Eye.
      18 Cobia 2001
      Perry

Comment

PC, that's a shame on the big one. Know the feeling, had a big BFT come unbuttoned on us a few weeks ago at the Cigar in 6+ers. Same exact situation keeping the boat down sea, only 2 of us and the fish came right at the boat. You'll get em next time. Are you looking at getting out this weekend at all?

Comment

Was looking at tomorrow but still a little tired. Chris went out today. Going to check with him tonight, if he had a banner day maybe I'll go, but most likely after the labor day weekend. You don't get many chances at those big fish and it's hard to lose them.
          18 Cobia 2001
          Perry

Comment

Yeh I know I was pissed off when we lost ours. We're watching the weather Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun. I'll email Chris tomorrow..

Comment

Working...
            X