Marlin on Wed. of Savannah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin on Wed. of Savannah

Last minute trip with one crew member yields 3 wahoo up to 60lbs and one blue marlin. The call was put out to all my buds was met with floundering and lamentation. Only one brave soul answered the call. He sacked up, drove 2.5 hours down from Augusta , hopped on the boat rode out the three hours and reeled in wahoo, tuna and an approx 175lb blue marlin. (that one on a TLD 25) One good thing about the light crew - came home between 26.5 knots and 27.5 knots at 3450. We were home from being 70 miles off at 5:30. (light a few cold beers)
    Attached Files
    2001 28\' 230 Volvo Diesels

Nice Work!! I'm getting a bit stir crazy up here, especially since the weather has been nice. Keep it up, and post em up when you catch, we all love fish pics.

Chris
    "Pelagic" 2006 Classic 32

Comment

yet another CC28 feature

Its completely fishable by 2 people!

Nice job on the marlin - I can only drool at the thought of just the right sized blue on a TLD25. A white on a TLD is a treat; I can only imagine what fun you had chasing that blue down.

Comment

TLD 25 for sale....slight drag wear!

Backman....It was interesting to catch a Blue on a TLD. We were fishing for Blackfin in the 25lb range with the TLDs (long) and had 50Ws off the flats for Hoos and bills. I kept getting cut on the 60lb flouro designed for the bftunas and I said to myself "Self, why are you fishing for Blackfin when you could have more Wahoo....hmmm" So I deployed a black witch/ballyhoo combo on 70lb wire. Crazy Ivan was driving (Simrad pilot) when I noticed a swirl behing my newly deployed witch. I picked up the 25, jigged it a few times, and I had what I thought was a very nice wahoo on. My only crew member was suffering from mal de mer on the deck. I could feel that the "hoo" had some good weight and was burning off line at an uncomfortable rate so I asked (read yelled at) Phil to get on the rod so I could drive the boat. When I got on the controls, disengaged the pilot, and turned around I noticed a very nice blue marlin launching itself out of the water behind our boat. Again I addressed myself "wow, I sure wish we could catch a marlin like that instead of this hoo we have on...wait..buzz...buzzzz....light engaging...that is our fish" . At this point, in a calm and dignified voice, I informed my buds fishing on the ledge near us "VALHALLA HOOKED UP - BLUE MARLIN!!" Following 45 mins of backing and forwarding (a maybe one or two icy cold ones - what? I was thirsty.." I had the bill in my hand. I asked Phil to snap a few pics and he calmly went to work with the digital. Most of these professional shots feature my large, unattractive, melon framed by gunnel and deep blue gulfstream water. We did manage to get a decent shot of the marlin and some good wahoo pics for posting. I know a number of you guys are up north and are chomping at the bit to unleash the classics so I will post a few pics to whet the appetite..if you guys cant wait get on a plane and come down...as long as you are willing to return the favor when August comes and all the fish are up your way.

Barry
        Attached Files

Comment

25's are tough

I've had some large tuna and sharks on 25's and you'd be surprised how well those drag pads hold up!

i'm laughing about the leaping blue marlin off in the distance "hey that's a nice fish, I wish we were hooked up to that, holy S**t that's our fish" moment because I have been there myself.

If your up north this summer your more than welcome to fish with me; it might be a 90 mile ride as opposed to a 70 mile ride though

Comment

Dolphin

This bathing beauty hails from Florida and likes long swims, sargasso weed, smelly ballyhoo....wait that also describes Phil, who is holding the fish...
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X