• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 on eBay

Anyone know the story with this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230214311342
    TOPAZ '24

I am not sure but I guess it is the boat that sank in NC going to the Miami show 2 years ago. I have asked the seller to post the Hull ID number twice!
    Nick 2003 CC28 KAMD300
    "PUMPKIN"

Comment

No electronics & no outriggers. I believe that you guessed correct.
      "Addison Leigh"
      1995 Carolina Classic 28'
      Wrightsville Beach, NC

Comment

The one that sank had outriggers on it thats how they seen it in the water the rigger was just out of the surface.
        2004 28 VOLVO 300 DIESELS

Comment

The lack of outriggers on a tower boat was a dead giveaway.. Remember, the outriggers on the one that went down were bent, so they were probably removed..
          Sweet-E-Motion
          28 Carolina Classic
          OCFC, MD.

Comment

Question to Seller

I asked the seller directly if this was the boat that sank in the Neuse River in February of 2006. I recieved the following response:

i dont know what the neuse river is,nor do i know the history of this boat,please read the add completely or inspect the boat completely,thank you

Comment

Another odd thing is that if you look at the photos on the listing, the helm has no electronics installed at all and clearly never had any, just like a new boat. The seller also appears to lack any knowledge of boats, which makes you wonder how they knew to value it when "taking it in trade on real estate."

Comment

35 on eBay

I also inquired with the seller if it was the boat that sank. However, I did not specifically ask if it sank, I asked if it was an insurance or salvage boat. The response I received from the seller was that I could inspect the boat or have a surveyor inspect the boat within 4 days after the auction and if I found something wrong with the boat, the deal could be canceled. Another interesting fact I found when reading the seller's feedback history was that the seller has sold other boats in the past and received negative feedback. Some buyer accused the seller of misrepresenting the item that he listed on the auction. I would be very suspicious of this guy.
                2003 28 Carolina Classic
                Twin 300 Volvo's

Comment

Good catch Bluefin. I have now asked the seller two direct questions and do not expect him to post answers:
                  1. Has the boat ever sunk or been submerged?
                  2. How many hours on the engines?

One of the things I despise about Ebay is the ability a seller has to pick and choose what answers he provides and that only the questions asked HE wants you to see get posted. The policy should be that all questions get posted such that we can ferret out the weasels who don't answer the tough questions. Ebay is 100% in favor of sellers, not buyers as they know which side pays them money. Same with Pay Pal who as a buyer is not your Pal.
                  Last edited by Patriot; 01-23-2008, 05:55 PM.
                  NIGHTHAWK
                  2001 CC 28
                  Yanmar 300's

Comment

I contacted the seller again to obtain the hull I.D.# and inquire about hull, engine and genset warranties. Manny answered the telephone and said that he didn't have the information handy, but would forward it to me within a day or so. I haven't received it yet.

When I asked about the 'bottom line', he told me the boat had been sold previously via auction for around $210K, but the high bidder could not complete the deal due to his inability to secure financing. (I remember the boat being listed for auction last year by CooperSS Salvage Company. The minimum bid was around $180K.) Manny said he and his 2 partners want to unload this boat now.

IMO, this is the same boat that went down in the Neuse River 2 years ago. Buyer beware.
                    2003 28 Carolina Classic
                    Twin 300 Volvo's

Comment

Engines

I'm just curious...does anyone know how you salvage a set of electronic diesel engines that have been submerged in 18 feet of muddy salt water for seven days?

Comment

Well, it was "won" for $189,000. I wish the buyer well but will predict the boat will not close to due inspection or marine survey results. The seller never answered a single question I asked. I still think the boat should be advertised as sunk, then rebuilt. Yes, you can "salvage" the engines but realistically only the castings and some other parts will survive. You are looking at a 100% teardown, probably saving the block and head parts must everything else is junk. Not sure what all the parts and labor would add up to but I will venture to say that brand new engines would be cheaper in the long run. If the engines were simple, old mechanical Cat 3208's you could probably put them back together pretty cheap but not these engines. The other thing to consider is that every inch of wire needs to be replaced on the entire boat. That is exactly why insurance companies "total loss" any car or boat that has been submerged. All wiring not replaced will haunt a future owner forever. At least there was not a $15,000 electronic package ruined.
                        Last edited by Patriot; 01-24-2008, 06:12 PM.
                        NIGHTHAWK
                        2001 CC 28
                        Yanmar 300's

Comment

Back on the market-
                          Starting bid $120g
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...em230220000192
                          TOPAZ '24

Comment

why did the boat sink?
                            28 Classic - Brown Eyed Girls

Comment

The seller provided the following description on eBay.

"CHEAP!! CHEAP!! CHEAP!! EXACTLY WHAT A FISHERMAN IS LOOKING FOR,THIS BOAT IS A 2006 CAROLINA CLASSIC 35 EXPRESS,5 KW WESTERBEKE GEN,540 HP CUMMINS WITH 30 HOURS AND RUNS PERFECT. IT IS IN THE WATER READY FOR SEA TRIAL,THE BOAT HAS ALL OPTIONS,TOO MUCH TO LIST,PHOTOS SPEAK FOR THE BOAT. NO OUTRIGGERS,READY FOR TRANSPORT,"BUYERS BEWARE" THIS BOAT WILL BE SOLD AS IS. THE BOAT HAS A HISTORY OF BEING SUBMERGED. THIS BOAT WILL BE SOLD WITH CLEAN TITLE,BOAT HAS BEEN SURVEYED BY 2 SEPERATE SURVEYERS AND HAS SHOWN NO SIGNS OF WATER DAMAGE,OIL SAMPLES HAVE SHOWN SIGNS OF WATER. PLEASE DO NOT BID IF YOU FEEL THREATENED BUY THIS AUCTION. CALL FOR ANY QUESTIONS. 727-641-0629"
                              2003 28 Carolina Classic
                              Twin 300 Volvo's

Comment

Working...
                              X